cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Tariff Just after signing

Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed for a pay monthly contract less than a month ago and have now been told that I will have an increase in my tariff. The tariff was an offer and no way would I have signed for it, if I had known it would increase, less than a month later. When I have asked on the help chat line, I have had the contract quoted at me and answered with O2 telling me I should have read the smallprint. I thought those days were over and that retailers were acting fairly. I am going to seek further advice.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whether they're within their rights to do so or not, there should be a minimum period after starting a new contract at an agreed price before the price index rise can be implemented.
Message 11 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:
Whether they're within their rights to do so or not, there should be a minimum period after starting a new contract at an agreed price before the price index rise can be implemented.

It happens in April every year for everyone...the same with any other network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

It’s been every April since it was implemented & I don’t think they’d change it 

Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doesn't make it right though.
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s what you agreed to when taking out the contract & in the t&c you signed. After all it’s only a few pennies & it’s actually legally right in a round about way

Message 15 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Right or wrong doesn't come into to it and it doesn't matter how long you've been a customer  be it one week or 20 years. It is explained to you and read out to you when taking out a contract. Whether you chose to listen or not was your decision but you really shouldn't be so outraged now. In case you missed the wording on your contract please read now :

HERE IS A SUMMARY OF SOME IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF YOUR AGREEMENT

The full terms of your Agreement are below. You can also pick up a copy in an O2 shop, check our Website or ask customer services to send you a copy. It's important that you read and understand the full terms before you sign up.

1. Charges/Price increases - Each year your Monthly Subscription Charges will be subject to an annual adjustment by the RPI Rate. RPI (or Retail Price Index) is a measure of inflation published by the Office of National Statistics. It measures the change in the cost of a sample of retail goods and services. This adjustment could be an increase or a decrease and the adjusted amount will first appear on your April bill.E.g. below (RPI rates illustrative only):   

Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm aware it's in the contract, that's not up for debate. But it's poor customer service to sell a customer a 2 year contract at a set monthly price and then increase it after the first month, even if it is clearly explained in the T&Cs. The headline price you sign up to should apply for a minimum period before they increase it. But legally they can do it so they do. It's still wrong!
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
There’s always pay as you go an option
Message 18 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:
There’s always pay as you go an option

Not just after signing for a two year contract unless the handset is paid off, expensive enough. Pay the extra pound a month and put it down to a life experience.

Message 19 of 19