Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Incorrect Billing (Data) - any suggestions?

Afternoon all, wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and, if so, whether you got any resolution from O2.
Just got my latest bill, and there's an extra £60+ of data charges on there. As I have an unlimited data contract, I was somewhat surprised by this to say the least!
I contacted O2 customer services, who have told me that I was using my SIM in another handset, which invalidates my free data. No matter how many times I said no, I wasn't using another handset, well, the screen says I was, so you can imagine how far I got.
Upshot is that O2 are stating that I was using my SIM in a different handset, therefore I have to pay the charges and suck it up. I'm contacting the Customer Review people by e-mail to dispute this (seriously, there's a recession on! I can't afford an extra £60 of charges for nothing!) but was wondering if anyone had come across this particular scenario before, and, if so, whether you had got any resolution (and how!)?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Re: Incorrect Billing (Data) - any suggestions?

which phone do you have what phone did they say it was in what tariff etc.
A bit more info and we might be able to help.
But take it up with the complaint review srevice.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Adam,
I use a BlackBerry with an unlimited Blackberry data bolt on, which I've had since late 2009 without any significant billing issues. Cust Service are saying I was using an 'Orbit' through December. I had never even heard of an Orbit before today, seems it's a Windows phone from 2006 with a fairly poor reputation.
Interestingly, on the bill, I was charged for data use from 13th Dec to 10th Jan, but in there were a number of free data sessions - so their own systems support that I was using the BB during the period, but they seem to think that I was swapping and changing the BB for this Orbit (and I can't stand touchscreen phones, so if I was going to swap & change, it certainly wouldn't be for that!)
On 10th Jan, it seems to have gone back to normal (ie free) data sessions.
The only thing I did do around the 13th when it started was to update the Blackberry OS to 5.0.0.681, but that was from the RIM website directly, so I certainly can't see that this could be a factor.
The CRS have received the details (confirmed with auto-response) so I'll wait to see what they have to say on the matter, but if anyone has any other suggestions, they'd be gratefully received.
Thanks
Mike
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

crs 7-14 days but do let us know how you get on.
I have noot seen this reported before only payg iphone users swapping to another phone when the free web/wifi was on the iphone.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Stupid question time I'm afraid, but did you lend your sim to someone in that time who may have put it in a different phone, or does this wild speculation trigger a memory of something else?
Blackberries on older bolt ons can tend to incur data charges when an app they are using accesses wap.o2 rather than blackberry.net because the wap apn was not included in the older bolt on. But for their systems to identify a different phone is another matter entirely. Mobile phone operators can see at a glance which phones have been used with which sims, when and where. The insurance companies use this info to validate claims etc, so it's odd where that info can have come from.
Anonymous

Hi Beaufighter,
That's a bit of a shot in the dark! No, the SIM/handset haven't been out of my possession. I live with my wife (technophobe who can barely get a battery on and off her Nokia) and son (4 months old) so I can't see it being either of them nicking it when I'm asleep!
As anyone who knows me would attest, my phone is my lifeline, and is rarely more than arm's reach away.
One thing I have just noticed is that I started getting charged for data approx 2 hours after I was complaining to O2 on the phone regards a separate matter. This is entirely wild speculation (even more than yours!), but there's no way a dissatisfied employee could... nah. They couldn't. Could they? :mansurprised:
EDIT:
Bill shows 3 types of data call -
blackberry.net FOC
wap.o2.co.uk FOC
mobile.o2.co.uk CHARGED
These are mixed and matched in amongst each other.
Anonymous

Hi Beaufighter,
That's a bit of a shot in the dark! No, the SIM/handset haven't been out of my possession. I live with my wife (technophobe who can barely get a battery on and off her Nokia) and son (4 months old) so I can't see it being either of them nicking it when I'm asleep!
As anyone who knows me would attest, my phone is my lifeline, and is rarely more than arm's reach away.

I wonder then if this other phone doesn't really show, and you were talking to a Billy bullpoo who couldn't think of any other way to explain the charges? Might be worth asking another advisor to check that info on imeis used with your mobile number.

One thing I have just noticed is that I started getting charged for data approx 2 hours after I was complaining to O2 on the phone regards a separate matter. This is entirely wild speculation (even more than yours!), but there's no way a dissatisfied employee could... nah. They couldn't. Could they? :mansurprised:

I'm sure they can't, lol.
EDIT:
blackberry.net FOC
wap.o2.co.uk FOC
mobile.o2.co.uk CHARGED
Anonymous

blackberry.net FOC
wap.o2.co.uk FOC
mobile.o2.co.uk CHARGED

this is what I was getting at, but I got my wap and my mobiles confused.
IF what the **** told you about another handset was pure fiction the explanation for this is quite straightforward. There is simply an app on your phone using the chargeable apn, it's a common problem with 3rd party apps. The only answer used to be to find the app and delete it, but now you can simply ask o2 to swap you to the current version of the bolt on as it includes all apns.
With that in mind it might also be worth asking for a goodwill bill recalc to be done ( a form they fill in) on the grounds you were on 'the wrong bolt on' ie an obsolete one they no longer offer.
I'd still want that phantom handset info clearing up though.
Anonymous

"talking to a Billy bullpoo who couldn't think of any other way to explain the charges?"
I think this might be possible - however that really doesn't help me out in the meantime! I have a Direct Debit now due to come out which is £65 more than budgeted for - I ain't rich enough to just pay that and get it credited back in a couple months. Unfortunately, I'm also not in a position where I can cancel the DD - my credit record is perfect, and I'd like to keep it that way as we're remortgaging later this year, and I know mobile networks have a rep for being very quick off the mark for flagging bills as unpaid.
Are you aware of any way to pay the part of the bill I agree on (line rental, voice call charges etc) and have the rest "held" until CRS finish their review? I've submitted this as a formal dispute to CRS, but don't know what their procedure would be.
Anonymous

I replied again just before you posted and yes, they should agree you making part payment and holding the balance in dispute until your next bill comes out, any credits given would then go onto that bill to cover it