cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I were to cancel my early upgrade due to very slow data speeds?

Kendjin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Firstly I wasn't expecting 300mbit/s, I had checked online and noticed that o2 isn't exactly amazing for data speeds, but I noticed I get about 7mbit/s on 5G outside, even though I'm in a 5G area.

I did the early upgrade because I figured it would be easier to just get a new phone with the 5g sim and nice and easy switch. 

But I'm sort of left feeling like this isn't really an upgrade, if I have turned on the phone, put the sim in and done a sim swap, have a removed my ability to change my mind within the 14 days, I only picked up the phone about 3 hours ago.

I'm just not sure I feel comfortable locking myself into a 36-month contract with these kinds of speeds, its seems like the only part of it that is 5G is it changes the badge on my phone?

If I did manage to cancel it, does anyone know if I would be expected to pay the 3 remaining months of the contract that were paid off by the early upgrade?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Kendjin 

You can return it for any reason within 14 days.

Your old contract is cancelled now so there is nothing to pay on it.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/our-change-of-mind-policy

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Kendjin
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you slight_smile
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You're welcome
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Kendjin
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry to be a bother, but do you know if I cancel this one, since o2 technically owns the number, is it still possible to retain the number, or is that sort of the cost of leaving the contract?
Message 5 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Kendjin

What device did you upgrade to?

It looks like you have been taken in by the theoretical speeds of 5G, which have been set in Lab conditions. Also dont forget that 5G is still rolling out, and your speeds also depends on the backhaul from the base station across the network.

I have speeds of between 200Mbps and 50Mbp/s on 5G, when i was allowed in the Office in Leeds.

You can send it back for any reason, under the 14 day guarantee. But if you paid off your contract early to upgrade then you wont get a refund on that as if it was a Refresh contract then you have closed your Credit Agreement.

If you cancel the contract completely, you will loose the number.

edited to add extra advice

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 10

Kendjin
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The phone was already paid off, so I still had 3 months of airtime contract left, so I was wondering if I would have to pay that if I rolled it back.

I upgraded to an iPhone 12 from an Xs.

I personally quite like using o2, its always been good for coverage, I think I was just a bit shocked that the 5G was about 11-16, I'd have been pretty happy if it had peaked at 50 to be honest.

Technically o2 paid off those 3 months, so I was a bit confused where I stand if I try to change my mind.

I think I might keep the contract if only because the number means a lot to me, its linked to a lot and 5G roll out over the years will likely improve my speeds over time.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Kendjin 

There is nothing else to pay once the device is paid off, as I said, there's nothing else to pay.

If you want to keep your number, just request your PAC to give to new network Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Kendjin
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Oh I see, I thought if I requested a PAC code, it would want me to settle the entire owed amount.

I might give them a call tomorrow to discuss.

Thank you both
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Kendjin 

You want have to pay the full amount unless it goes beyond the 14 days.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10