cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I buy a phone second hand and the seller stops paying the account, can the phone be recalimed

Anonymous
Not applicable

A chap advertised a nearly new O2 iPhone 7 on our NHS swap and sell notice board

It was bought new from O2 in November 2016 on 500 minutes, unlimited text and 1 gig data monthly tariff

the chap says it is not a Refresh tariff - is there any way to check that?

Also the warrantee on the Apple site confirms it is under warrantee until Nov 2017

It is not blacklisted listed

It is OK for activation

It is OK on iCloud

Any advice would be much appreciated J

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
If he stops paying the bill the phone will be barred from the network ultimately.
You can check the tariff type by asking to look in his MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Unless the iphone was purchased outright and a simplicity tariff used o2 only sell on refresh now .

Only by asking to see proof of purchase etc will you find out .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
If he stops paying the bill the phone will be barred from the network ultimately.
You can check the tariff type by asking to look in his MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I asked him for the type of the account he has and he just said what it ofered on a monthly basis in terms of minutes and so on.

He has not Paid for it up front though as he is selling to raise money.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
As soon as he pays off the contract you are safe from a network point of view, but he could still claim on an insurance policy if he is dishonest and again the phone would be barred.
If you know the seller well you should be safe but there are many risks with secondhand phones that you need to be aware of.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5