Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Hello all,

I was just wondering, I have an IPhone 3GS and it's superb but I am due to upgrade in a few months now so I am bot sure what to go for. I wouldn't mind the new IPhone but it seems to have too many bugs and the double glass does scare me just in case it breaks.

I have heard great things about the HTC Desire and again hear good things and bad but it's tempting because of the customisation of the phone which I love doing. I used to do this on my XDA phones and it was great. I was just wondering what your opinion is on both phones. I'm not interested in listening to Apple haters or fanbois stuff as there is enough of that around. Hope someone can help.

Cheers people
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Why not upgrade your OS of your current iPhone and see what you think? Personally I'd say the Desire is better, but then again I own one!
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Cheers for that David, I have updated it and its good. It works well but I just want to make sure getting a HTC is good. I have heard brilliant things about it but there are a few issues which I saw when doing a search on these forums and that is to do with losing 3G connection. Do you have this problem on yours?
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

I have a Nexus One which uses the same radio hardware and have no problems at all
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Cheers for that David, I have updated it and its good. It works well but I just want to make sure getting a HTC is good. I have heard brilliant things about it but there are a few issues which I saw when doing a search on these forums and that is to do with losing 3G connection. Do you have this problem on yours?

Yep, sometimes it goes to G if I'm at work in our office, other times it's E, other times H. But is this a problem of the phone, the network or simply whereabouts you are and what's in the way of the masts?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Hello all,
I was just wondering, I have an IPhone 3GS and it's superb but I am due to upgrade in a few months now so I am bot sure what to go for. I wouldn't mind the new IPhone but it seems to have too many bugs and the double glass does scare me just in case it breaks.
I have heard great things about the HTC Desire and again hear good things and bad but it's tempting because of the customisation of the phone which I love doing. I used to do this on my XDA phones and it was great. I was just wondering what your opinion is on both phones. I'm not interested in listening to Apple haters or fanbois stuff as there is enough of that around. Hope someone can help.
Cheers people

Further to my last, I can add a bit more. Because my wife insists that I do everything for her, I become quite familiar with the Desire. Today I received a new iP4 for myself and have a few early observations.

The iPhone has a lovely quality to it, despite the Made in China on the back.

The metal antenna adds a touch of luxury to the look and for me it feels very secure in the hand. For me, the iPhone wins hands down with the asthetics.

The screen on the iPhone is very responsive yet, despite its resolution, it is not that much better than the Desire. In fact, the difference is so negligible it would not be a consideration. The screen on the Desire is only 0.2 of an inch larger than the iPhone, but to me, the difference is noticeable. The iPhone screen seems small in comparison.

The antenna issue is very much real, although it doesn't always occur. I am reliably informed bumpers do not always help. I am sure the problem is not yet fully understood. It is not a deal breaker for me as it is easily worked around.

So far, I have not noticed any yellow spots on the screen, microphone or speaker problems, or indeed any of the other listed issues. I would certainly put the "phone" function of the iPhone in a league above the Desire, which is a deal breaker for me.

The Desire's speakerphone is garbage and the earphone is poor. This however is where the negatives stop.

The Desire is a far more customisable phone out of the box, it is every bit as smooth as the iPhone 4 and a real pleasure to use. I love the Android OS and the way I feel that there are an unlimited amount of options. The iPhone to me feels a little limited in its raw state.

One thing that the iPhone 4 is really impressing me with is the battery life. It seems to be considerably better than the Desire. I have both of them running very "light" but the iPhone is on its first charge and I have only used 10% in the first, fairly busy, 8 hours. I am looking forward to stretching the battery a bit and to see what it will do.

Another big issue for me was the keypad. The Desire's was just too small and despite being able to calibrate the same, I couldn't get on with it. The iPhone on the other hand has a great keypad.

If you want me to continue with my observations just "holla", but I am comfortable at this stage to say that my choice would be the iPhone, with the keypad, battery and phone functions being that bit better than the Desire.

I honestly never thought I would be saying that I preferred the iPhone4, but so far, I do!

Hope this helps!!

Andy

af
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Thats brilliant mate. My brother has just got the Desire so I am going to see what his is like. I am tempted by the IPhone 4 still but like the idea of customisation on the Desire so I am still unsure. Im sure I will ask some questions regarding the IPhone 4 when I have some. Thanks a lot again mate, nice clear review of them both.
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

I've had the Desire.

I now have an iPhone 4.

I can quite honestly say that there is absolutely nothing special about it (the initial loveliness of the display soon wears off). It does absolutely nothing useful that the Desire can't do.

That, coupled with the fact that you need a case just to make it work properly and not break whenever you drop it makes the Desire all the more attractive.

I'm considering selling the iPhone on eBay and going back to the HTC.
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

I've had the Desire.
I now have an iPhone 4.
I can quite honestly say that there is absolutely nothing special about it (the initial loveliness of the display soon wears off). It does absolutely nothing useful that the Desire can't do.
That, coupled with the fact that you need a case just to make it work properly and not break whenever you drop it makes the Desire all the more attractive.
I'm considering selling the iPhone on eBay and going back to the HTC.

For sure you get the impression that the iPhone is a fragile beast, but I would always use a case and coming from the Blackberry I am going down the route of an open ended leather sleeve. I bought the wife a red Crumpler Royale for the Desire and that impressed me enough to order the black one for the iP4. Lovely quality leather.

Although, I don't need a case to make it work.

The battery life on the iPhone is way better than I imagined and I am quite buoyed by that. Horses for courses!

Standby 18 hrs 36 mins

Usage 1 hour 22 mins

Battery after first charge, still 85%.

The Desire won't touch that!
Highlighted
Anonymous

IPhone 4 or HTC Desire

Ive got an iphone 3gs and recently got myself an HTC Desire. Its a brilliant little phone and generally does everything the iphone can do and more(and the customisation of the UI is excellent - like the OP i like messing around with phones and had xda`s for 5 years)..BUT..... for me there was one thing that let it down and in turn lead to me returning the phone and going back to 3gs - this was the app store(or android market as it is called) - Apart from customisation of the phone(which desire wins hands down) the other thing that makes a phone for me are the apps, and the quality of android apps just doesnt seem to be there, especially for games...

Now, ive mentioned this to a few people that have desires (that have never had an iphone) and they all say the quality of apps is fine. It could just be that ive become so accustomed to the iphone way of doing things anything else just doesnt `do it` ?

Just my little input on the situation!