Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad Warranty

Dazzler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can somebody at o2 please confirm the following, I have asked in store and via customer services but with different answers each time. 

if I sign up to a 24 month contract for an iPad and in month 14 it goes faulty due to a software issue (not dropped or smashed or fallen in the bath etc) where do I stand? will o2 repair this / replace this under my contract with them or am I left with 10months of a contract and no iPad?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dazzler wrote:

Ok, so I’ve just got off the phone to Apple who are pointing me in the direction of o2 (surprise surprise) and quoting Consumer Law. They are the retailer and they have to remedy the problem!? But o2 are saying they only warrant for 12months.. if consumer law protects me as a buyer for 2-3-4 years depending which article you read) where do I go from here as o2 are not interested?

If you wanted to exercise your legal rights as a consumer, then the law is quite clear, and it's explained briefly in the aforementioned news article. But honestly, I'd cross that bridge when you come to it, because we're dealing with hypotheticals at the moment, which is probably why you're struggling to get a definitive answer from both retailer and manufacturer.

Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You may find our guide here helpful https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-To-Guide-Difference-between-SOGA-and-warranty-extend...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

Dazzler
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I actually read your article to the man at Apple who agreed wholeheartedly- thanks for that link
Message 13 of 19

Dazzler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Wow.. that was a lot of information to consume, I’ll try and read it all again, the first link didn’t work but I’ve found the Apple link at the bottom. Thanks
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dazzler wrote:
Wow.. that was a lot of information to consume, I’ll try and read it all again, the first link didn’t work but I’ve found the Apple link at the bottom. Thanks

I've just read it myself, and it's actually quite refreshing to see such openness and transparency. I think the following statement from that link, just about sums up the essential information that you're looking for:

"Should your product be defective or if it does not conform with the contract of sale, you can choose to make a claim under UK consumer law, the Apple Limited Warranty or the optional AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ (whichever is applicable)." 

And it even goes on to explain how you make a claim, and who to contact (depending on the type of claim).

Obviously, having AppleCare Plus would give you complete peace of mind, as it covers accidental damage as well. It just depends on your particular circumstances, and how much risk you feel comfortable with.

But good luck @Dazzler, whatever you decide to do  wink

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Whilst it says "you can choose to make a claim under UK consumer law," it doesn't mean that your claim will be upheld though.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Whilst it says "you can choose to make a claim under UK consumer law," it doesn't mean that your claim will be upheld though.....

No of course not, and each claim would be assessed on its own merits. I can only speak from personal experience, but I've always been impressed with the service offered by Apple, and I wouldn't expect much argument from them in that kind of situation. Admittedly, it would be a difficult one to prove if you've dropped your phone, and it's obviously damaged. You've just got to be realistic sometimes, and it could well be that you don't have a legitimate claim.

Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You can only speak as you find but after been given the run around over 6s battery issues for which they are now currently offering either free or heavily discounted replacements, I can only say they are utter poop

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

You can only speak as you find but after been given the run around over 6s battery issues for which they are now currently offering either free or heavily discounted replacements, I can only say they are utter poop

In the OP's situation, if it was a claim under UK consumer law, they'd be dealing with O2. Let's hope their service is better than that  Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 19