Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI barring

Phonegal27
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Do o2 ban imei and blacklist handsets for non payment of bills? I'm about to buy a handset and I'm worried it will get blocked if bills fail to be paid by previous owner !
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

It’s wise to be cautious regarding eBay etc

As it happens I’ve bought phones off eBay without a problem albeit with one very important proviso.

The moment I get the phone, besides checking its ok etc I ALWAYS do a CheckMEND search on it, which will indicate whether or not the phone is stolen,has finance on it etc for the grand total of £1.99 .

CeX are very good and their Grade A phones are usually ‘as new’. Sometimes though they can be really expensive but phone prices are constantly changing so its a good idea to check you aren’t paying too much. 

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Checking when you receive the phone doesn't stop the seller reporting it lost or stolen 2 or 3 months later though when ebay and paypal will no longer be interested in it.
Until there is a log book system like there is with cars you will never stamp out the con artists.
I'm not suggesting every ebay sale is like this as I too sell on ebay but it is wise to be aware of what some sellers are like.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Before the advent of smartphones I bought no end of phones from Ebay.

Mainly Razr's and Krzrs. Some were probably chinese replicas but they worked well, I had no problem with any of them. Nowadays and with the insurance scams I wouldn't trust Ebay at all.

I have bought brand new sim free phones from Amazon and only from trusted sellers who have been trading for years.

Apart from an iPhone I bought for my son and the seller stopped trading on Amazon, I have had no problem. Even then I got a refund from Amazon, which was handy as the son got his phone repaired for free by Apple. (It was only 7 months old when it developed a fault)

You just need to do a bit of research before purchase I think...(and never be afraid to ask for advice.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 13