cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got iPhone contract - should I be able to add/share contract with new pay monthly iPad?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I had a query regarding the possibility of adding a new device to my current contract to share the data. I spoke to 3 different people at O2, 2 in sales and 1 upgrades but none of them seemed to give me any clarity nor were they clued up on 'sharer' plans so I'd be grateful if anyone here can give me a clear answer.

I've got a 24 month phone contract with O2 including 3GB data and am 12 months into it. I decided I wanted to get an iPad and read in MyO2 that it's possible to 'share' data in a contract with additional devices. I'm not a heavy data user and have plenty left over so I thought this'd be perfect if I got an iPad.

I looked and there was a good promo deal on O2 with an upfront cost + monthly payment for the phone but then with monthly airtime cost too. I didn't understand the need for the airtime cost if I planned on sharing the data on my current contract and the advisor couldn't explain why I needed it and was trying to sell me more data.

I spoke to upgrades who couldn't help then eventually got through to sales again. I was told that Pay Monthly phones have to be sold with air time. This made more sense and I proceeded and just chose the cheapest airtime deal, the promo was at a good price and I just thought I could think of the airtime as an interest payment for paying for the phone monthly.

I've got the ipad now but still don't think I was given a definitive answer and want to check if I really need to be paying a monthly airtime cost. Is it possible to buy an additional Pay Monthly device without the monthly airtime cost if I don't plan on using it and 'share' my current contract data allowance? Or is the airtime cost effectively interest on the phone and cost of paying monthly for it? Are these 'sharer' plans more designed for devices that are paid for outright or those with paid off contracts?

Thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Everything you need to know about Sharer plans is here http://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Your lead contract has to be set up when you take it out initially.
You can't change to a lead half way through unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Everything you need to know about Sharer plans is here http://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 3