cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I took out a contract for my ex-partner...

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I was stupid and took out a contract for my (at the time) long-term partner. He has now moved out and seems to be using his phone to gamble and stuff online using o2 payments or whatever it's called. Is there a way I can transfer the contract to an account in his name so it isn't in my account anymore.

The break-up was less than civil so talking about it isn't an issue. As a last resort is there a way to block him for using o2 payments?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a 24 month refresh contract with £200ish left on the device part. If my ex-partner paid that off and kept the phone, would I still have to pay for the airtime part of it until the 24 months have passed?

Sorry for all the questions, not really sure what to do for the best.

Message 11 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123146 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

In effect he has your phone and wont return it. You would be well within your rights to report it stolen and have it IMEI barred. Certainly as your ex partner is not talking to you so discussion isnt an option.

If he continues to using it, you could end up paying massive bills due to his misuse of it.

I know what i would be doing if I was in your situation. Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123146 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

And yes...the contract is in your name therefore only YOU are liable legally...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 35

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Once the handset is paid off you just give 30 days notice to cancel the airtime. He is then free to take out a sim only contract or use P&G.

Message 14 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are well within your right to also report it to the police if you wanted to take that root ( you will probly need to anyway for a stolen handset) I'm sure they will get it back for you 

Message 15 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not so much the phone I want, I don't care about that. Just want to be free from his controlling ways hiking up the phone bills with his gambling problem. Will pitch the idea of him paying it off (through his monther!) and take that root before reporting stolen etc.

Thanks everyone for your help x

Message 16 of 35

MI5
  • 144689 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Yes, as I said before. If he pays the termination fee which is the device plan you can cancel the airtime. He has his phone and you are free of the contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123146 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not so much the phone I want, I don't care about that. Just want to be free from his controlling ways hiking up the phone bills with his gambling problem. Will pitch the idea of him paying it off (through his monther!) and take that root before reporting stolen etc.

Thanks everyone for your help x

Don't wait too long @Anonymous He is already racking up YOUR bills with gambling. If this isnt an amicable split, I can only fear it will get worse

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 35

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alternatively YOU could choose to pay off the device plan then cancel the airtime agreement. That would limit your exposure to the £200ish plus one month.

Then you could walk away. Just another option to consider enabling you to walk away without the potential for getting into an argument.
Message 20 of 35