cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I took out a contract for my ex-partner...

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I was stupid and took out a contract for my (at the time) long-term partner. He has now moved out and seems to be using his phone to gamble and stuff online using o2 payments or whatever it's called. Is there a way I can transfer the contract to an account in his name so it isn't in my account anymore.

The break-up was less than civil so talking about it isn't an issue. As a last resort is there a way to block him for using o2 payments?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could speak to 02 on 202 and explain the situation and they should be able to help .. but I think the only option you may have as it's in your name and a 24 mth contact would be to pay off the entire contract in full and turminate it.
Message 2 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's your phone so you have all the choices.
You can pay off the contract and cancel it or even report it stolen and have the phone and sim barred.
Unfortunately you cannot transfer it into someone else's name though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is from o2 toc

"If you are on a Shared Tariff you as the lead connection and account holder will be responsible for all the Charges for the Shared Tariff and all connections within the sharer group, even though others may use those SIM Cards, have separate tariffs and/or may pay their bill separately. If the account holder/lead connection is late paying, is disconnected or cancels their Agreement, it will affect the rest of the group. We may charge interest or fees if you're late in paying. You have to pay by direct debit. We may ask you to pay a deposit before we'll let you use the Services."

Message 4 of 35

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As a last resort is there a way to block him for using o2 payments?

These payments will come under the "charge 2 mobile" scheme which CS will block if you ask them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help.

He has had it for 9 months and given me the money for those 9 months, I've asked for the phone back but his arguement is that he has paid for it for so long, he needs something to show for it. I guess reporting it stolen is the only way, would it work with his argument though?

Message 6 of 35

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As far as o2 is concerned it is your phone, not his.
You will still be responsible for paying the monthly bill, even if you do report it stolen, but it will only be the base tariff.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is under your name and ur contract so it is your phone and contract, he is just using it. If you report it lost or stolen and have insurance on it you would still need to pay for the contract each month till it has ended I think .. @MI5 can confirm this?

Edited: lol and MI5 answers my question as I post it slight_smile

Message 8 of 35

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If he wants something to show for it ask him to give you the money to terminate the contract and then he is free to take his own contract elsewhere.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 35

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's not a shared tariff. It's a seperate account but still in the OP's name. That means all the responsibility for payment is with the OP.

If you aren't able to agree for your partner to make payments from their own account your best option is to get the phone back off them or report it lost and get the phone and the sim blocked. If your partner wants the phone then I'm sure he/she will be in touch quickly. You will still have to pay off the account in full. If it's Refresh then you just need to pay the handset.

Message 10 of 35