Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sent one text message to Southern Ireland and got billed for 6 text messages

Feemar
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why was I charged for 6 text messages to Southern Ireland when I only sent one? 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

We couldn't possibly know @Feemar so you'd have to ask customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus 

However, if sent from the UK on a UK phone it would be classed as an international text and you would be charged 35p on contract or 20p on PAYG per text (which is 160 characters).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

We couldn't possibly know @Feemar so you'd have to ask customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus 

However, if sent from the UK on a UK phone it would be classed as an international text and you would be charged 35p on contract or 20p on PAYG per text (which is 160 characters).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Feemar

as already mentioned. One text message is 160 characters only, 

so if you say sent a massive text message with 500 characters then this would be classed as 4 text messages and not one.

people forget that sms stands for Short Message Service

So,great information here as well as sms over 160 was split into chunks of 153 characters.  So sending a sms with 161 would be split into 2 sms, with one showing at 153 and the 2nd sms with 8.

more info below. 

USA was original was set lower than 160 as well. I am talking many years ago.

but you sending a sms isn’t just straight forward.

Also welcome to the Forum

218D0ED9-91EE-4687-969D-2EA8BEAFE15A.jpeg

D39F30EE-86E9-4EC2-908B-DD9497EE8F62.jpeg

https://www.twilio.com/docs/glossary/what-sms-character-limit

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Feemar If your text included any emojis that would bump it up too.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Feemar slight_smile Did @MI5@darrengf and @Bambino's answers help you understand what happened? Please let us know if you need any further help!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 5