Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am being fleeced by O2

Silviamcn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I I have just tried to send this email to O2, but not possible - they told me that I ran out of data again, twice in one month, that never happened before in the last 20 years I had a mobile phone, also, I’m always on WiFi as I am now, but wasn’t when they texted me that I run out of data - something isn’t right here, they already told me that I used 3GB of data within 12 days, I bough another 500MB and that apparently has run out now - how?? My average monthly data usage is 1.5GB. Why is this happening? I tried to send this email to O2:

Ok, this is strange, I'm always on my wifi, but just now looking at my phone, I'm not. Why is that? There is something really strange happening with my data in the last week or so. Can you please explain?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Silviamcn This isn't customer services we are a community forum made up of customers like yourself.

What sort of phone have you got? We have had a number of people with iPhones claiming high data usage.

You need to check you have mobile data turned off, then you will only be able to use WiFi

Apps updating in the background overnight is another cause of mobile data usage

Apps such as Facebook and other social media sites are a real data hog

Check in your phone settings and see what is using the most data.

Also check in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Incidentally it would be cheaper for you to change to a higher data tariff than keep adding bolt ons.

If you have any further queries then give customer services a call https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 144222 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
The answer that gets given around here is turn off data because apps update in the background and use your data is not entirely true.
Yes, they use data, but only small amounts and not huge gb’s worth.
If you have a phone with WiFi assist or download booster this can result in high data usage if the WiFi connection in use fails but it’s 100% controllable by the customer and in no way controlled by O2.
What you need to do is reset your data counter on your phone and monitor how much data you are using and compare that to the usage recorded by o2 in your MyO2 app.
Check settings in social media apps to ensure auto play of videos isn’t turned on when on mobile data and build up an accurate usage pattern.
If you find the data recorded by o2 is way off your own records you then have strong evidence to send to o2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

We have all said that apps updating in the background will use data. I didn't say large amounts though.

The strange thing with this post is the op clearly stated they thought they were on WiFi whilst posting and then found out they weren't. So it's obviously flipping between the two. Hence my suggestion to turn mobile data off .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144222 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
I know, but the op is complaining of large amounts of data so that won’t be due to background apps.
It could also be the phantom iPhone data loss, hence the need for tracking their own use accurately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

It could also be the phantom iPhone data loss, hence the need for tracking their own use accurately.

I agree which is why I asked what phone @Silviamcn had mentioning the issue with some iPhones

As they haven't returned we will have to wait and see 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144222 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
Indeed.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I notice with Android you can keep WiFi on even when the phone is asleep unlike iOS which turns off to save battery.. even when it’s plugged in.. 

weird!

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144222 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
That no longer happens on iPhones, it used to, but was changed some time ago.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93190 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 10 of 11