cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei and Android/Google loss/restrictions.

StevenGW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

how does the recent news around google shutting down access to its apps and updates affect my Huawei Mate P20 Pro. I only have it a few months.. And when this happens my device will no longer be fit for purpose. So is O2 going to replace my phone for a phone that is fit for purpose?

Regards

Steven

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@StevenGW 

Join in the main thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Huawei-no-longer-getting-Android-securityupdates/m-p/1223921

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Can this thread be merged please

I feel we need an official thread with a statement from O2 to direct all these, and all the ones still to come, to.

Come on @Chris_K let's have something concrete from O2 please.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Is probably a little too early for us to expect a response from O2 but customers need answers @Chris_K 

Message 5 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys the official response from O2 has been posted here.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 9

Class40
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Short answer - not one bit. The loss of google services applies to as yet unreleased phones - successors to current models. You nor anyone else will lose access to google services on phone already purchased nor indeed on already released models sitting in warehouses. Hope this is clear for you and all the others who are worrying for no reason because they have failed to properly reasearch what the situation is.

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Class40 wrote:

Short answer - not one bit. The loss of google services applies to as yet unreleased phones - successors to current models. You nor anyone else will lose access to google services on phone already purchased nor indeed on already released models sitting in warehouses. Hope this is clear for you and all the others who are worrying for no reason because they have failed to properly reasearch what the situation is.

ok_hand

Message 8 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

We now have a Q&A on the Huawei situation live on the community. You can read the Q&A here. 

If you have any questions that are not answered in the Q&A please drop them in the thread and we'll do our best to get them answered for you. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 9