cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to potentially leave your contract penalty free

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now, I'm not saying this is guarenteed or anything but it's worth a go for reasons I'll explain later so please no comments regarding whether it will or won't work. It's better than doing nothing.

This link

http://www.saga.co.uk/money/news/2014/january/what-can-you-do-if-your-mobile-phone-bill-has-suddenly...

Explains all the necessary actions you need to take to challenge the 2.7% increase in pay monthly tarriffs.

Please read the whole link as there is different advice for different situations.

For information I have complained to O2 and it has been rejected HOWEVER it has beeen taken up by the Communications Ombudsman so fingers crossed.

Now, because of this. This has cost O2 £300.00 which is by far more than they will get from me from the price hike so even if the Ombudsman rejects it it has still cost O2 more than their 2.7% hike that they'll get from me so it won't be all bad.

Like I've said so far as it's a new increase and obviously rulings (if any) will not have come into force yet so it's a trial at the moment.

There are various ways you can pursue this and all is explained in the link however some are free and some are paid. The route you choose is your choice, I personally have chosen the free route.

Like I said please read all the link first and follow the advice to the letter and we should (Fingers Crossed) get somewhere with this.

Good Luck

Gillsfankev

Credit for discovering this goes to member BROWNI

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_hcir wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
It was never a "fixed price".
Where did you see that written anywhere?

This has been covered about a trillion times on this forum, if I wasn't so full of violent acidic rage I wouldn't reply because it's covered so much, but I'll reiterate because I want you to believe and become one of us:  o2 and their partners misrepresent these contracts as fixed price, fixed term contracts.  If you disagree because you are someone who fastidiously reads every bit of small print ever, that's your opinion, but in the opinion of the majority it's a slimy way of doing business and we'll seek redress as it inner right, duck.  If they don't want to fix their price, they should say so at the point of sale (e.g. "£20 per month, rising at RPI (currently 2.7%) each April, 24 month contract" instead of "£20 per month, 24 month contract").

There wasn't any guarantee that there would be a price rise, just like there isn't one for next year.  Its simply terms in a contract that allows O2 to raise the price if they want to. 

Sales advisors don't have a crystal ball just like the rest of us don't.  If they aren't to know theres going to be an increase, why would they say anything?

Its like them saying to you 'Yes take this contract but next February there might be a network issue causing you lost service for a couple of days.  Thought I'd tell you, just incase..."

Message 21 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
OK, go it - So it's not written anywhere except to say that in the T&C's "price rises in line with rpi" wink
and it's not a case of "becoming one of us" it's a matter of fact. You can't argue a legal loophole if you chose not to read the T&C's.....
It's just pointless......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 22 of 36

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Look, guys, we'll never agree on this.  I think we should agree to disagree and seek our own paths of enlightment on this issue.  If you're happy to pony up the extra dough each month, then I give you massive respect and wish you well.  I, on the otherhand, want o2 to put this right.  For them to tell me that they're putting up the price mid contract and say I should be glad of it because I can sell my phone to o2 recycle is like having someone rob my wallet and then phone me up later to call me an offensive name.

Whether you're ponying up the dough or fighting "the man", I wish you all luck!  

Message 23 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think a_hcir is right.

We all have differing views. I myself am stuck with it. I have checked my t&c's and am stuck with it. Not happy. But accept it.

Others don't feel it is in their t &c's. Ok so call CS to complain. They will tow company line. Then send complaint to complaints review service. They will tow company line. Get deadlock notice. Go to Ombudsman. Cost to o2 = £300 at this point. Ombudsman reviews case and makes decision.

Lots are threatening to take this route and, combined with volumes of customers who say they are leaving (may or may not be reality) o2 will lose £ x.

That is the choice for us all. We don't have to agree but we do respect each others opinions.
Message 24 of 36

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well blow me down with a feather.  I kind of expected it given the goings on over on the moneysavingexpert thread, but I've just had the "Ombudsman thinks o2's price rise is a commerical decision and doesn't believe it can deal with your complaint" response from the ombudsman.  

I think this must be a boilerplate response because there was no response to the reasons the hike must be considered material detiement (as given on the saga website link on the first post).  I've just written back to them with a link to OFCOM GC9.6 stating that they must review my reasons for material detriment once again, but I reckon this is the end of the road.  

Looks like o2 have won this round, folks.  Now to find out just how unlimited my text message and minutes bundle is so I can get the benefit of the extra £1 a month I'm spending... wink Any suggestions for cool numbers to ring?

Message 25 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • Hi peeps.. I havnt read any posts yet just  glanced through the first. I believe this cums under adverse clause.. Its meaning is that little bit in ya contract that u signed for has changed/different to what u signed. Phone companies along with most business by adding quotes like "we have the right t change this from time to time with or without notice" or they tell you they can do this with so many days notice. I don't know about your vat but where I **bleep** from vat goes up ONCE a year in April when budget is dun not 3/4 times also they should have gd reason to do this like to cover costs etc BUT again I/we didn't sign for xtra costs also if o2 as a company want to upgrade woteva eg masts etc surely that's your decision (well I certainly wasn't asked If I wanted) so why are customers having to pay.. Its like me gpin to shop n buying pint ov milk n telling shop owner I ain't paying for it the next person to walk in shop can pay or IS payin even if they Neva wanted it. Its morally wrong ..I signed for £24 a month tariff including vat so why were my bills coming in at £20 per month then £4 vat. Back to adverse clause.. Where was I oh yes... If there is anything in your contract has changed from that you signed for, doesn't matter how small then o2 are actually in breech so get on at them and don't take what they say laying down.. Go seek legal advice and get them on your side as you/we have rights and that's why these rules are put in place..
  •        Hope that can help in any way. :))
Message 26 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

ADVERSE CLAUSE PEEPS LOOK IT UP AND YOU WILL FIND YOU CAN LEAVE.. WJO EVA GOT THE CONTRACT (02 IN THIS CASE) THEY HAVE GOT TO BE IN BREECH OF YOUR CONTRACT. THRY MAYBE ALLOWED ONCE A YEAR TO PUT PRICES UP AND THATS IN APRIL NOT 3/4 TIMES THROUGH THE YEAR. CHECK YA CONTRACTS.. ANY CHANGE AT ALL AS TO WHAT YOU SIGNED FOR IF SO TELL THEM ADVERSE CLAUSE.. YOU DIDNT HAVE A SAY  OR GIVEN DECISION RIGJTS TO ACCEPT OR DENY THESE CHANGES SO THEY CANT DO IT (ONLY ON THE BUDGET IS THIS NOT AGAINST BREECH OF CONTRACT).. AGAIN HPPE THIS HELPS

Message 27 of 36

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Unfortunately, all the info you are posting is factually incorrect.
Please refrain from posting until you check your facts.
We aim to keep all info on this forum correct and therefore helpful to others....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 28 of 36

jonsie
  • 93985 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Have to agree. I can't even make sense of most of the content of the posts.

Message 29 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-mid-term-rise-v-ofcom-ruling-Facts/m-p/611520... the facts and vat has not been changed from its current 20% since 04/01/2011 when it went up from 17.5%

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 30 of 36