cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid the so called "early termination charges" once cancelling a Refresh contract?

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I wrote a post a while ago about how nice and thoughtful it was of O2 to try and  dip their hands into my pocket by attempting to charge me the Early Termination Fee after I've cancelled my Refresh contract.

It all got sorted at the end right enough, but still...

Now, I've fully paid for the device on my other O2 contract (also a Refresh one) and got the PAC as I had enough of this network to be brutally honest.

However, once I use my PAC, I don't want to go through the whole "early termination fee" saga again. After me sharing my concerns with the advisor who gave me the PAC, the reply was "O2 won't charge you early termination fees after paying off a Refresh device and leaving, and this is the first time he has ever heard of this happening" (taking into the account that some forum members reporting this happening for the past 2 years or so... ).

So, the question is - how do I avoid being charges that fee again? The device is fully paid off, I've got a PAC, I want out, but without any nasty surprises.

Is that achievable? Could someone help? @Toby? Anyone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Indeed, your words cannot be disputed.

It's a sad day for all telco's when dedicated helpers are considering chucking it in because service isn't regarded as important anymore...

Humph!
Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask how you sorted this? I got told mine should correct itself within a few days (a few days ago) and theyve added a note to my account that Im not liable for the termination fee, but its still worrying, ha.

Message 12 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144394 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Perseverance with cs wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 25

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I ask how you sorted this? I got told mine should correct itself within a few days (a few days ago) and theyve added a note to my account that Im not liable for the termination fee, but its still worrying, ha.

Phoned CS first, and the advisor seemingly went in the right direction saying he'd submit some sort of a form to get the charges credited back. As I had a lot of negative experience with O2 before I decided to phone CS the second time just to doublecheck. The second advisor was reading out the notes that the 1st one has left on my account, and these notes did not make any sense to me as they did not seem to reflect the conversation between myself and the 1st advisor. Again, the 2nd advisor has assured me that he'd send all the necessary requests to get the charges reversed. In all honesty, he sounded helpful and all that, but I didn't want to take another chance and asked Toby (O2 community coordinator) if he could help. He forwarded it to the team, and I did get a response from them via email. It did get sorted, however as to who played the key part in it - CS, or the team that Toby has got in touch with, or both, I'm not really 100% sure slight_smile

Message 14 of 25

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Huh, I got told to wait for my next bill to generate, and to cancel the direct debit just in case, let's hope it goes well
Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Huh, I got told to wait for my next bill to generate, and to cancel the direct debit just in case, let's hope it goes well

I hope it does @Anonymous Strange they told you to cancel DD 'just in case'. They don't usually advise this...however if that's what has been said..best of luck with it...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

jonsie
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

As long as an eye is kept on My O2 because we have heard so many stories on here about people cancelling direct debits and being hit with defaulfts months and even years down the line for minimal amounts of a few pounds.

Message 18 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was going to check back when the next bill is generated and will see if its been sorted, sort of wish they could manually generate a new bill, but they didnt say anything about it so I guess it isnt possible.

Message 19 of 25

MI5
  • 144394 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Unfortunately you need to wait for the computer to generate the bill.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 25