cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many characters in a text to international number?

Spud
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I sent a relatively short text message to my sister in America. I was charged for three text messages at 48p each making a total charge of £1.44 for one message. Customer services said I had exceeded the limit for a single text message and I had been rightly charged for 3 texts. Firstly I was not aware of a limit in character numbers in a text. The wording of the help FAQ simply states the cost of a text message with no mention of limits to length. Secondly does anyone know the maximum character number for a text message? Thanks
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
160 characters for a standard text but it may have converted to mms if emojis were used?
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
160 characters for a standard text but it may have converted to mms if emojis were used?
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Spud, just wanted to check if you got all the information you needed and have any further questions? slight_smile

Message 3 of 11

Spud
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5, I counted my characters and there was just over 200. Enough to be charged for 2 messages but not 3. I did not use emojis. I shall be more careful in the future.
Message 4 of 11

Spud
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Marjo, thanks, my questions answered but I think the limit on characters should be more widely advertised.
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome @Spud

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Spud good to hear that you got the info you needed, thanks for coming back to let us know. slight_smile And thanks for your feedback as well! Are you talking about the help pages on the O2 website where you think the information should be made more accessible? Happy to pass this on. slight_smile

Message 7 of 11

Helsan
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just had this issue with texts to channel islands. Nowhere does it say 150 characters which I assume uses spaces. This should be very clear or state amount in bill for longer texts eg 3 x cost with (450) characters. This is mot clesr anywhere. I even rang once and was told zid probably deleted some of my texts!! 

Message 8 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Helsan 

SMS has always been 160 characters and it is globally acknowledged and has been around since day one of mobile phones been able to send text messages, so not sure why you think its a secret, or o2 need to tell you. 

And it is also globally acknowledged that more than 160 characters will cost you more.. 

Have a look here as well, and its your responsibility if you have never used a mobile phone or SMS to check the parameters.. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/text-and-picture-messaging

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Helsan To avoid any charges for texting, you and the people you're texting need to download WhatsApp. You can call, text, and video call over WiFi to anyone else who has the app anywhere in the world for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 11