Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot data usage in Europe despite hotspot being turned off

Motorhomer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m currently in France and know I have 25GB for my billing month to use in Europe. I’ve used my hotspot a couple of times very briefly but my mobile data consumption is almost half my 25GB already. Today I’ve had my hotspot off all day but I seem to have used almost 3GB through it! Can anyone help? (I managed my allowance last month with no problems whatsoever!)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Motorhomer 

If you're really sure it's off and nothing connected, it must just be delayed usage reporting.

Sometimes it can take 24 to 48 hours to catch up, esp when abroad.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

Motorhomer
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I haven’t used anything like that amount of data though in the tiny amount of time I have turned it on. So frustrating!

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Motorhomer 

Where are you getting the usage info from?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 9

Motorhomer
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The details under my Mobile Data breakdown (iPhone). I reset it when my data month started.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Motorhomer 

What does it say in your My O2 ?

Message 6 of 9

Motorhomer
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It’s showing a bit less, but I’d expect it to catch up soon.

its a mystery! Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Motorhomer 

In that case, something is still connected, or was, after you thought you had disconnected.

Message 8 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Motorhomer 

You say that your hotspot is switched off but is your mobile data turned off too ? 

If you mobile data is on, your handset could be downloading updates in the background, keeping track of your location etc, even if you are not actually accessing websites. 👍

Message 9 of 9