cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Scams

Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted the following to the Daily Telegraph; it is so important I feel I should repeat it:-

Good day,
I have an account with O2 and a Samsung phone. Like many when I get my monthly bill, I give a cursory look, and if it is within vague limits , I go no further.
However I looked more closely at my bill this month, and found I was being charged for a premium message service [£4:50 a pot] every two weeks. I was completely unaware of this - there were no messages in my "in box" that would be classified as this. So I phoned O2.
After a very long conversation, during which the assistant explained that no credit could be given, as I had received these messages and were thus chargeable, she suggested I looked in my "spam" folder - within my message application.
Lo! A string of messages, all unopened, were revealed, going back to the beginning of the year. The assistant now became sympathetic, and repeated her inability to help, but undertook to pass this problem along to her superiors ...
On checking the internet, the company involved is WIZZPLAY,
mGage, and others. with a short phone number of 65003;   Complaints galore.All saying the same: THIS IS THEFT

I hope this information will result in your interest, and some action elsewhere:
I feel
1. Your readers should be warned about hidden messages, [how many know of a spam folder in their phone?]
2.Phone companies should protect their customers from this risk. I assume O2 marked this as "spam", I certainly didn't.
3. Ofcom should become involved. Perhaps also a prosecution service for fraud.
4. Refunds should be obtained [ I have lost a substantial amount with this scam]

Yours,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will O2 take some action on this activity?

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's good that this is being highlighted and hopefully the regulator will take some action. 

It's all to regular an occurrence unfortunately. 

Community help here 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous said :

"Will O2 take some action on this activity?"

Very doubtful until it is forced upon them by legislation from the regulators.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call the company direct. You can find their number using the link above. Tell them to stop further messages and ask them to refund the charges. 

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

o2 won't do anything as it's nothing to do with them 

Message 6 of 6