cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all, I am currently roaming around the US and Canada (...

DOCTOR_P
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all,

I am currently roaming around the US and Canada (pun intended) and am experiencing the same problems with my O2 travel inclusive zone bolt on...

I have a 15GB data package with a new Samsung Galaxy S9 which includes the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on (see attached screenshot of my O2 account). I landed in Boston, US on 9th Aug and received the following SMS:

"Welcome to USA. Your tariff includes roaming here. You get 120 minutes, 120 texts and all the data you need each day at no extra cost, subject to our fair usage policy. Your daily allowance applies from midnight to midnight based on the local time of the capital city of this country. Charges for your usage whilst you're here may initially appear in your My O2 account but don't worry. If you stay within your daily allowance, you will not be billed and My O2 usage will correct itself within 3 hours of first appearing. If you go above your daily allowance you will be charged International roaming rates. For more information on International roaming rates visit www.o2.co.uk/inclusive-zone Call 112 for emergency services."

Initially everything worked as advertised; very good signal coverage and good data speeds for what I was doing (Google maps, checking restraunt menus and reviews, nothing data heavy). Then the next day I get the following SMS:

"You've now hit your 50MB/£48 roaming data limit, so data will not be available. If you want to use more you'll need to increase your monthly roaming data limit to £120 (200MB) by texting DATALIMIT200 to 23336. For terms see o2.co.uk/terms"

After this my mobile data didn't work at all, unless I was accessing O2 website content (MyO2 etc.), which shows that the issue is O2 preventing me from accessing anything but their own site for customer service/help purposes.

I decided that it wasn't worth bothering with ringing CS and that I'd just tough it out with Wi-Fi (#firstworldproblems). Then my Hotels.com app decided it would crash and conveniently forget all of it's cached info, like where my next hotel was. I was in the middle of nowhere and needed mobile data, which I am paying O2 good money to have access to, so I decided that I'd push 'the button' and worry about the consequences later - I text "DATALIMIT200" to 23336. As well as thinking "I really need mobile data access right now" I actually thought about WHY I am still getting the 50 MB/200 MB limit messages when I should have unlimited data with the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on. I think that the regular O2 roaming options and limits that all O2 customers have by default are still in place on our accounts, and that they are overriding the unlimited data roaming that we should have.

After texting "DATALIMIT200" to 23336 (which was around 36 hours ago) my O2 account shows no additional charges, and my regular O2 roaming bolt on (not my O2 Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on) has changed to "heavy data user". Again, this makes me think that our problem is to do with the two bolt ons conflicting in some way, causing us to get get data roaming caps but no charges for the data we are using.

Does anybody know if O2 staff (CS, tech support etc.) actually check/monitor our ramblings on these forums? If not, does anybody have a direct dial number for O2 technical support that I could call? I'd like to know if they can remove the default roaming data usage caps from my account and/or confirm that I'm not going to get a ridiculous bill for this month!

Apologies for the long read/rant.

Adam
Screenshot_20180816-211416_Chrome.jpg
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @DOCTOR_P

You are the third person this week to complain about the same issue whilst roaming in the US. All of you have the O2 Travel Inclusive roaming bolt on, which as you say has NO data cap.

Another thread here posted just this morning https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Using-phone-abroad/m-p/1146484#M155207

You need to perservere with customer services who open at 8am UK time. There is NO seperate number for any IT support (Do not use live chat)

Best time to call is between 8-8.30am https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marjo, @Martin-O2 @EmilieT

Could someone speak to O2 about the problems people are experiencing with O2 Travel Inclusive. This is the 3rd post this week where members are having data capped, when there is NO data cap at all with the Travel Inclusive Bolt on.

It appears O2 have offered this as a bonus with certain tariffs, and yet they have failed to put the correct system in place to enable people to use it. A very poor state of affairs Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@Martin-O2 @EmilieT @Marjo looks like O2 need our help again. With another problem!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Nicey83
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I'm having the exact same issue. I did a live chat with a guru and asked to have the data cap removed which shouldn't be on my account anyway. He did it straight away and told me I'd be back to normal services within 24 hrs.
Message 5 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I've had an update on this one which has been posted here. Any new updates will be posted there so please keep an eye on that thread for further news.  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 10

MikeyTee
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is still happening. Arrived in Canada last night, had text confirmation that I had no data cap. Within 2 hours I’d been capped at 50mb. No way of contacting anyone to get the cap lifted until chat opened this morning. Very frustrating
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @MikeyTee

I replied to your other post here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/No-data-whilst-roaming-in-the-USA/m-p/1151849/highlight/tr...

Live chat aren't the best to sort out the issues with O2 Travel inclusive. You would be better making the free call to customer services to ensure they have actually sorted this for you

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

MikeyTee
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Unfortunately it’s not even 5am here. Don’t want to wake the whole house up ranting at them! I’ll call when it’s a more civilised hour just to check. 👍
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Just how long does it take to get a known issue fixed by O2? This has been a problem for months. Any update @Marjo @EmilieT?
Message 10 of 10