cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, new handset silly quick question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey!

So I'm currently trying to checkout with a new handset, buying it outright. But the o2 online store seems to insist I MUST select a tariff. But I already have an o2 SIM and contract, I want to use that one, should it fit. Do I have to just pick any old Pay and Go SIM just to make it happy, or will I brand the new phone with that new number???

J x

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Is it the S6 edge? wink

Just put whatever payg tariff you want in the basket. It doesn't affect the price of the phone at all...

A visit instore for the correct sim will sort everything out quickly. They will do the sim swap there and then ...

This is similar what I did in January. Bought my new Note...went instore and they put the correct sim in and swapped everything over. 10 minutes flat...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. Yes it does seem weird that you can't 'just buy a handset' as such from O2. However if you opt for PAYG you are actually buying the handset outright......so what sim you put in it is up to you. (Remember though if you want to put your current sim in and keep your number it will have to be the correct size to fit the new phone)

Are you sure that you couldn't buy a sim free phone cheaper from Carphone Warehouse?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Cleoriff

I currently have a micro SIM, and I believe this new handset will require a Nano SIM. Will a quick visit to my local o2 store be able to remedy the size issue relatively swiftly?

Yes, I can see that another store such as that sells this cheaper, however they have no stock anytime soon, plus the difference will be made up by the Google Play £50 voucher deal, should it arrive. Can you guess the model I'm going for yet?

So if I check out with, say, the pre pay 'Big Talker' SIM, or the international SIM they won't impact the phone or my account or my current contract?

Thank you

J

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Is it the S6 edge? wink

Just put whatever payg tariff you want in the basket. It doesn't affect the price of the phone at all...

A visit instore for the correct sim will sort everything out quickly. They will do the sim swap there and then ...

This is similar what I did in January. Bought my new Note...went instore and they put the correct sim in and swapped everything over. 10 minutes flat...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff nope, Nexus 6P!

Awesome

Thanks for your help!

JJ x

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Brilliant @Anonymous Welcome to the forum by the way.....please come back and let us know how you find this new phone. It's great to see new members Welcome

And now to bed.....said Zebedee LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great the @Cleoriff was able to help@jparadox!

You are welcome to stay with us! We are a great bunch!

Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm surprised that the O2 site is showing the 32GB version as in stock. CPW is showing November 10 as the earliest delivery date, and the Google Store is showing it as out of stock.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You must choose to buy as a payg phone if it is available to do what you are wanting to do.
Any other way will result in a new contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9