Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Help me unlock my iPhone

Hi everyone. I'm looking a bit of assistance unlocking my pay as you go iPhone. I've been jumping through the O2 hoops but getting nowhere. I hope this isn't confusing and that someone has been through a similar experience.

I've had an O2 Simplicity sim for the past two and a half years. 11 months ago I bought a Pay As You Go iPhone from an Apple shop and was made to purchase a Pay As You Go sim. I put the Pay As You Go sim in a cupboard and stuck my Simplicity sim in the iPhone and all has been great for the last 11 months.

Now I'd like to unlock my iPhone so I can give it to my girlfriend who's on a Vodaphone contract but her Voda mobile is acting up. I'd then get a cheap O2 PAYG mobile to keep me going for a few months until the new iPhone comes out.

So I went to the O2 website and filled in the details on the unlocking website. I was sent an email back from O2 to confirm my IMEI number, which I did, and then got an automated response from O2 saying I'd get a response within 72 hours. It's been alot longer than that and nothing back. I rang the PAYG customer services to be advised that my PAYG sim was inactivated after 6 months because it wasn't used. The girl said that means she can't help but as I have a simplicity contract the request would have to go through them. The girl on the contract dept said that she'd never heard of this before and wasn't able to help either.

Neither could tell me if my original request is in a queue to be unlocked. I knew that there could be a wait of up to 14 days, but assumed that I would be emailed confirming that my request was in that queue. So who should I ring or email as I don't want it ending up in some kind of black hole? lol

Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy
Anonymous

Help me unlock my iPhone

You are over complicating this. You just need to fill in the unlocking form, using the details of a valid current O2 account.
Anonymous

Help me unlock my iPhone

I understand that I might be over-complicating things but I am a bit clueless about my sim status. As my PAYG sim has been disconnected due to non use, the only valid contract I have is my Simplicity sim. From the O2 website pay monthly users:

Pay Monthly
"Your iPhone can be unlocked at anytime free of charge. If you unlock your handset and place a non-O2 sim into it, you will still have to honour the remainder of the minimum term on your contract."

( http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html )

So am I entitled to this with my Simplicity sim? I've spoken to customer service representatives in both PAYG and pay monthly departments and each person has said it's the other department.
Anonymous

Help me unlock my iPhone

You don't need to call anyone. Just fill in the form on the website.
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Help me unlock my iPhone

just use your simplicity details and ensure that the sim has been in the iphone recently so it is on the system. Just use the form as pay monthly.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services