cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to turn data on and off to receive WhatsApp's sometimes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning,

I use WhatsApp a lot (doesn't everyone?) and I upgraded my phone with O2 to a Samsung S8 last year. I have constant problems whereby I have 4G on my notification bar but both my WhatsApp Web on my PC at work states that I'm not connected, messages do not go through and I have my mrs texting me saying she has sent me WhatsApp messages but they are not coming through.

I then have to turn my data off, and turn it back on again and then I get flooded with all my messages I should have received while my data has been constantly turned on.

This is pointless and causing me issues, has anyone experienced this?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@AnonymousI haven't but wonder if deleting the app and reinstalling it may fix it?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll give it a go - something I haven't tried to be fair.
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Worth a try. Let us know how you get on please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Some info here from Whatsapp

Why is my WhatsApp not notifying me?
To ensure the prompt delivery of WhatsApp notifications, your phone must be configured properly. Make sure that WhatsApp notifications aren't muted in WhatsApp settings and in each chat: Open WhatsApp, tap More > settings > notifications and make sure that message and group notifications are set to ON

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff - The messages would notify if I ever received them. People who send me the messages (i.e the mrs when she sat next to me as a test) show that they have been sent to my phone (1 tick) but not delivered (2 ticks) within the App. The 2 ticks occur when the WhatsApp on the phone they have been sent to receives them, if my data isn't working properly I don't receive them, so I don't actually get a notification.

I've done your suggestion of re-installing WhatsApp, will see how it goes, thanks for your replies. slight_smile

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
It's most likely a problem with your 4g connection and congestion.
Try it on 3g only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff - Nope just experienced exactly the same problem, tried to send a message to the mrs as a test, it sat there failing to send.

I turned my O2 Data Off - Turned it back on again and they sent. Its clearly a problem with either the phone or O2.

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
As we were posting at the same time, did you see my suggestion to try it on 3g ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Sorry to hear that @Anonymous.

Have you tried @MI5's suggestion of turning off 4G and using 3G instead?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11