cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to give 30 days notice prior to contract expiration?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys. Would be grateful if someone would be able to clear this up for me!

I have an 18 month contract with O2. I have 2 payments left on it. 1 in a week or so and then the final one a month later.
Recently i had spoke to O2 and discussed a potential upgrade. I am un-decided on what i will do. I mentioned that i might move network if offered something more apropriate elsewhere and was informed that i have to tell them what i plan to do 30 days prior to the expiration of this contract. If i don't do this and it get's to a few days before it is due to expire and i have yet to tell them they can either charge me for another 30 days or turn my phone off upon expiration and not give me the option to take my number with me.
Now i realise part of that coule be trying to pressure me into agreeing an upgrade but is it really true? Do i have to give them 30 days notice before i can walk even if the contract has expired?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an 18 month contract with O2. I have 2 payments left on it. 1 in a week or so and then the final one a month later.
Recently i had spoke to O2 and discussed a potential upgrade. I am un-decided on what i will do. I mentioned that i might move network if offered something more apropriate elsewhere and was informed that i have to tell them what i plan to do 30 days prior to the expiration of this contract. If i don't do this and it get's to a few days before it is due to expire and i have yet to tell them they can either charge me for another 30 days or turn my phone off upon expiration and not give me the option to take my number with me.
Now i realise part of that coule be trying to pressure me into agreeing an upgrade but is it really true? Do i have to give them 30 days notice before i can walk even if the contract has expired?

Yes. If you choose another network, ask for your PAC, that is the equivalent of your 30 days.
Message 2 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Yes you need to give 30 days notice or you go on a monthly rolling contract at the end of minimum term
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ok, cheers guys.

So really then i have to give them an answer on my 2nd to last payment that way the 30 days coincide with last payment.

Also after researching a bit into this people are saying you have to tell them you are not renewing the contract in written form, is that true? In this day and age with email and telephones do they really require you to write to them telling them you want the contract to expire?!
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would go to a monthly Simplicity if your handset isn't too wrecked.

Don't be in a hurry to upgrade, why tie yourself into another 18/24 months? Remember it is only O2 that want to tie you down and they throw you a handset in exchange for 18 or 24 months of relative inflexibility.

As I said when you request your PAC there is no need to write to them.
Message 5 of 5