cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been scammed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a phonecall about a week ago offering me a phone upgrade. They knew my address but, shamefully, I did furnish them with my date of birth. They said they were working for Carphone Warehouse. I was offered an iPhone 6 which would be confirmed in a week. Well. No email has arrived and no phone. No record on my O2 page. I have contacted Carphone Warehouse this morning but thought I would see if I wasn't alone, or if there was a slight possibility that it wasn't a scam and that my phone would arrive soon!

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitely contact your bank IMMEDIATELY. They will put your account into a holding review so that any unusual transactions are reviewed before being allowed through.

You might even need to change your account details.

No one on here would want to alarm but please do this immediately.
Message 21 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I missed that last bit too - Please contact your bank asap.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Unfortunately @Anonymous  has not come back to the thread...so I can but hope that they have contacted their bank today.....they wont get them tomorrow slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bank fraud lines are open EVERY DAY 365 days of the year.

People if you are in any doubt. Call.
Message 25 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Bank fraud lines are open EVERY DAY 365 days of the year.

People if you are in any doubt. Call.

Indeed you are correct Nick. If only they came back to the thread though...Oh well we can hope...

It was just such a throwaway line at the end of the OPs post...which is why I had to go back and re-read and then edit my post slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
And this is o2's official response on their twitter feed. No acknowledgement and guiding people to a thread from January 2013. SHOCKING

http://news.o2.co.uk/2013/01/09/fraudsters-making-social-media-an-antisocial-place/?utm_campaign=eng...
Message 27 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
And this is o2's official response on their twitter feed. No acknowledgement and guiding people to a thread from January 2013. SHOCKING

http://news.o2.co.uk/2013/01/09/fraudsters-making-social-media-an-antisocial-place/?utm_campaign=engagor&utm_content=engagor_MjY2ODAwMA%3D%3D&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Its as if they haven't heard about this one...far more sophisticated than ever...Smiley Mad

Disgusting

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
That was what made me look @Cleoriff and it was a fine spot by you. Kudo
Message 29 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just as an update to my original oust, it took a further five phone calls to Carphone Warehouse to cancel this order. I did try ringing O2 but the man I spoke to was incredibly rude to me and I ended up hanging up. I haven't heard any more about it for over a week and I have gone for a different upgrade, which has successfully gone through on My O2 app, so I think I will be okay now.
I really appreciate all of your assistance, thank you.
Message 30 of 33