cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been scammed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a phonecall about a week ago offering me a phone upgrade. They knew my address but, shamefully, I did furnish them with my date of birth. They said they were working for Carphone Warehouse. I was offered an iPhone 6 which would be confirmed in a week. Well. No email has arrived and no phone. No record on my O2 page. I have contacted Carphone Warehouse this morning but thought I would see if I wasn't alone, or if there was a slight possibility that it wasn't a scam and that my phone would arrive soon!

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie Bow

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just spoken to CPW - it was a kosher company, but they've sent the phone to my old address - we moved recently! He says once the phone is returned then it will be resent out to my new address. PHEW! I will ring back in two days time for an update. Thanks for your advice guys!

Message 12 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome news and a lot of your mind I bet. 

Message 14 of 33

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
But the phone hasn't been returned yet......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 33

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, just to let as many people know as possible I received this email today:

This e-mail was sent to ***** by O2. 

Hello Mr Allister Dawson,

Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.

We can see that you've recently paid your monthly bill and we request that your information is validated before we can finalize your balance.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name: Mr Allister Dawson

Date of Birth: 0*/**/19**

Mobile Number: 0******9156

Current Plan: O2

You must now click here HERE to verify your O2 account.

Please note, if you fail to validate your account with us your services may be suspended.

Regards

The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited

Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX

Registered number: 1743099

I clicked the link and without thinking followed the instructions. Then thought to question it, unfortunately it was too late had filled in my bank details. Hopefully no-one else is conned

Message 17 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another for @Toby
Message 18 of 33

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Many reports of this scam and O2 are looking into it.
As long as you didn't click the links and fill in any further info you will be OK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yes these scammers are certainly working hard to rip people off over the Christmas/New year  period. Their own appalling type if seasons greetings I expect. slight_frown

Edit. I notice from your last comment you say you had filled in your bank details? If I had done that I would be ready to contact my bank for their advice.?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 33