cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard sell

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ordered a new payg sim free from o2 website yesterday as my fathers old sim had stopped working... he hardly ever uses phone but for occasions that he does... Then today lo and behold I get call from my mother saying that someone from O2 had phoned and EVEN THOUGH SHE SAID HER HUSBAND HARDLY EVER USED PHONE got her to sign up for a £10 a month contract and took her debit card details.. to add insult to injury as they couldn't speak to my father as he was asleep they made it out in her name (and she already has a tesco contract!!)... tried to unravel this but customer services said they had no record of the order on her system even though the confirmation email clearly states an order number .. so theres no way to cancel this order till paperwork/sim arrives apparently with the stress that this entails for my mother... there better be a cooling off period to cancel as I need a cooling off period for the O2 sales techniques... the reason i ordered a payg sim with MY email contact details is i didn't want them bothered with something they didn't understand and now they've taken advantage of an old lady... my mother tells me they were gabbling so fast didn't know what they were talking about so gave them her debit card details... I am disgusted with 02

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Yes, I suppose that it would be.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm sure but it's our responsibility to educate them. I have with my parents.

*coughs* ..and as a parent ....I have educated my grown up sons...#justsaying...:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I can't help it if your kids are daft 😛
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

think I may have put their tel number on online form when asked for free payg sim (although put my email address).. wish I'd put mine now.. I can sort of understand marketing dept jumping on a payg sim card trying to "upgrade" people to a contract BUT and its a big BUT if customer says that they hardly ever use phone, as my mother did re my fathers sim/phone then IMMEDIATELY caller should say well its not suitable for you and thanks for your time NOT carry on regardless.. I know when my mother got her £7.50 pm tesco contract phone they went to great lengths to ask how much she used her phone to find out if it was worth it for her.. and it is beacuse she uses it a great deal more than my father.. pity O2 marketing seem more obsessed with sales figures than actually providing someone with a product that is suitable..

Message 14 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
True if it does actually prove to be o2. So far there's no evidence it is a direct.sales call from o2 and we know the shady tactics some.other companies will use to get a sale.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 21

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous If you put their number on the form you'll have to carry the can for this one. It is reversible, though, so you have a way out, but it's your mother who's going to have to cancel, as it's her name on the contract.

If Tesco had taken such care with sorting out a plan for your mother, why didn't you just do the same with a P&G sim for your father?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

i got an email confirmation on MY email address from 02 which is what alerted me to what they had done.. so it is them or someone on their behalf that sends confirmations from an o2 email address, plus i got a whole load of emails about usernames passwords etc for o2 online accounts although whatever deal they sold my mother doesn't seem to have appeared on it or maybe because i cannot enter the mobile tel number because i haven't got the (UNWANTED) sim yet !!

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

he wanted to stick with what he had and it semed so simple to just get a free replacement o2 sim online, and as far as carrying the can for the phone call, on reflection i do not object to the call but i do object to them selling her a product that they knew to be unsuitable ie she kept telling them my husband hardly ever uses phone so in my book a contract deal was never appropriate but guess caller was thinking more of her commission

Message 18 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Targets to be met!

Currently using:
Message 19 of 21

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No one's saying that what O2 did as far as selling your mother a contract was appropriate, but had you not put her number on the form we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm not saying that what O2 was right. Far from it. I'm sorry this has happened to you, but you'll have to sort it out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 21