Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Anonymous

Handset

I have had my handset for 7 months. Happy enough with my contract but would like to change handset. What can I do?
Anonymous

Handset

Ohhh I didnt realise I could sell the current one!! I thought I was tied to it!
Anonymous

Handset

Buy another one. It's not a flippant remark, its the truth!
If you signed up for an 18 month contract then you cannot upgrade until month 17 (same with a 12month, one month before end). You could try buying the rest of your contract out and start another (very expensive) or go into a 3rd party shop and ask them if they will buy out your contract (probably unlikely and you won't have the same things). As I stated, buying your own is probably your best option and sell the current one.

It takes a bit of getting your head around what sheepdog is saying. Think of it like selling a car with a warranty still on it, or payments still to be made. I think a recent poster here from HM Forces 'sold' his contract when he was posted somewhere abroad where phone was no use to him.
Just to make it more complex Smiley Very Happy if you cant sell it you could try 'renting' it to someone.
HTH Smiley Happy
Anonymous

Handset

Mmmmm ok
Anonymous

Handset

Mmmmm ok

The 'selling' or the 'renting' is an informal arrangement between you and the other party. You are liable for the bill and have control of the A/C.

Lots of people do it. Best pick someone from a Gentlemens Club as your buyer Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

Handset

Lol ok!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Handset

I have had my handset for 7 months. Happy enough with my contract but would like to change handset. What can I do?

I think Sheepdog's option is the least complicated.

As you can see from the number of phones I've had (in sig) I've never kept a phone for the life of a contract. I always sell it after a few months then buy a SIM free or O2 PAYG and pop my SIM in.

According to the T&C's, Equipment section 2.4
"The equipment that we deliver to you or is collected by you, becomes your responsibility once it is collected or received by you at which time ownership will transfer to you.."

So as I read it, the handset is yours to do with as you will, but you still have to pay the contract for it's full minimum term, so it's your responsibility to always have a device you can use the service on.

SV