cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked account used to purchase iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did not get the phishing email that is going around, yet someone has been able to access my O2 account change my email address to one they have set up and order a new iPhone 6 on contract to a different postal address to the one already on my account.
Yet it's me that have to tell them the order is fradulant, phone both O2 and mailuk to put a stop on the phone being delivered.
I only noticed because I got an email to say I'd changed the email address on my account.

Did not get a decent answer from the fraud department this morning as to why this order was allowed to be processes and did not flag as my email had just been changed and was going to an address not registered to my account.
Have changed all my details and security question.
But this seems sophisticated going to the effort to set up a new email address so I wouldn't spot the order being processed.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
AS I said on your other thread.
Change your log in password and also change your security word with CS.
This is a different issue to the scam emails that are going around.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im surprised the order went through personally, especially if the handset is sent to another address and different email address registered......these are the classic signs.

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122924 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Surely this is something completely different to the original fraudulent email scams @MI5  It appears they are taking things further this time with the purchase of phones?....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Surely this is something completely different to the original fraudulent email scams @MI5  It appears they are taking things further this time with the purchase of phones?....:smileysad:

Nothing new - It has been going on for years but O2 had supposedly tightened up security and put in measures to prevent this.

I guess the fraudsters got lucky and managed it through a lazy CS agent who couldn't be bothered with going through the security checks (such as texting the customers phone a verification code, etc).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

This is an old scam as I said on the other thread. O2 have supposed to tightened up security to stop this happening  and by the use of text messages to the phone number on the account. Apparently it's still going on.

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122924 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I am well behind the times then. I had never heard of this before Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7