cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUAWEI PHONE. No more updates for android or google services???

DS2000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I purchased a contract for a Huawei phone very late last year and am now understanding that google and related services are not being supported / updated because the phone is made by Huawei.

I refer to Trumps ban on US companies doing business with them.

My question is, if there is no support, then the phone software will not be upgraded and security updated as i expected when i took out the contract. 

Will NFC be secure ?

No NETFLIX  etc etc etc.

I fear that my phone, which i love by the way, will become unsafe to use and will eventually not even let me see my gmail account.

Surely O2 should let me change my phone to another that isnt boycotted... yes / no 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Personally I would doubt it. I understand that phones purchased before mid November would continue to be supported. From your post I'm assuming you bought the phone after that date.

I, nor anyone on here, have no knowledge of the legalities or the implications of the Trump/China fall out so it would be impossible to comment on any likelihood of a court ruling should a legal case be brought in the future.

It's a question that you need to address to O2 directly either through customer service or by making a formal complaint and seeing what O2's stance would be on this.

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DS2000 

My understanding, for what it's worth, is that any phones that had currently been developed and sold with the Android operating system would continue to be supported normally.

Only any new range of phones not currently in the market place wouldn't be.

The expectations for those is that Huawei would introduce their own operating system.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I have just purchased an Honor phone and looked into this in depth. Others are correct existing devices will still get updates, new models after the ban it seems don't come with google play store - but all is not lost - there are a few videos on YouTube showing how to get round this with other app sites. 

It also seems like Huawei are being very aggressive in their own right in establishing their own app store, they are spending a lot of money to bring developers over to encourage development for them and they have been rumoured to be working on their own OS for a couple of years now - which some reports say is far superior to Android. 

At the moment the US Government is issuing exceptions to the order restricting access to Google for 90 days at a time, as obviously Google aren't too happy with the restriction too and are lobbying the government. 

It's a very fluid situation but there is a lot of pressure in the US to get a work around - in the meantime Huawei are preparing for the worst case scenario - and this is what is worrying Google.

Message 4 of 6

pedrobedro
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought my Honor 8x last year and it's been a great phone for the price and it's ben updating regularly, did one just the other day. I think the ban would hit Google more than Huawei as the Chinese market is huge and Google do not want to lose them. All the older models have been excepted from the ban so I am not going to worry till the phone stops working.smiling

You are now 4th in a queue, stop pushing. All our calls are recorded for training purposes so don't do anything stupid.
Huawei Honor 8x
Message 5 of 6

djbsuffolk
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Plus with my Honor I'm learning Chinese - a nice chinese man talks to me everyday asking me what I am doing and what the British Government is up to and do I want to buy 5G infrastruture - the phone doesn't even ring, he's just there. wink

Message 6 of 6