Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

HTC Desire Pricing?

I am new to smartphones, and after playing around with a few in various stores and reading reviews online, I'd like to get a HTC Desire.
Currently I'm on a £10/month SIM only Simplicity contract. Whilst looking online at deals, I can't help but be confused.
If I buy online with 02 for a 24-month contract, at £30/month I get the phone but have to pay £90 for it. Whereas if I get a deal from the Carphonewarehouse, I get the same contract deal with the same minutes, texts and data, and yet the phone is free. So why would I pay £90 to 02 for the same thing that I can get elsewhere for free? I don't understand the pricing differential.
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire Pricing?

I guess the same logic could be used when a Mars Bar out the local newsagent might cost 50p or so, but out a service station on the motorway it's going to be more expensive...lets say 75p or so
Different companys, different revenues, different overheads, different prices.
Anonymous

The same reason that you may be able to buy an iPod from Apple, but see it cheaper in Argos. Try ringing retention and see if they can match the deal, if not you can upgrade through Carphone Warehouse.
Anonymous

I suppose that makes sense. Though in the case of the iPod, you get "added value" from free laser engraving. O2 isn't adding any value as far as I can see, and 90 squids is quite a difference!
Anonymous

the added value is that you dont have to deal with carphone
Anonymous

i have the same issue myself last july when i wanted a w995- o2 were charging me £90 for it on a 30/m tarriff, whereas phones4u did it free on a 25/m tarriff. Meant dealing with them, but i got what i wanted.
Anonymous

I suppose that makes sense. Though in the case of the iPod, you get "added value" from free laser engraving. O2 isn't adding any value as far as I can see, and 90 squids is quite a difference!

Remember if you buy the handset from CPW they will be responsible for the handset warranty and for technical support of the handset.
So if you have any issues with the service O2 will help, any problems with the handset CPW will be your only choice.
You need to research their policies and customer service to decide whether its for you.
Anonymous

Remember if you buy the handset from CPW they will be responsible for the handset warranty and for technical support of the handset.

The manuafacturer is responsibe for the handset warranty & technical support Smiley Wink