cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got refunded up front pymt - is contract cancelled?

simon246
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Wondering what my next steps are

Filled out an application last Wednesday night as a brand new o2 customer for an iPhone 11 pro Space Grey 256g phone. Got my contracts etc by email straight away and an order number (the device says in stock and next day delivery but I know from posts here that stuff is just not true). 

So I didn't ever get a dispatch e-mail, I figured things are slow because of Covid. My order obviously doesn't show up yet on Myo2 (which is frustrating as getting e-mails isn't a great "live" look at your order progress). 

The £300 I paid upfront for the device has just been refunded into my account at 1am, 7 days later. o2 never e-mailed me to say the device was out of stock or anythings cancelled. And I'm assuming they done a credit check a week ago to see whether I could have the contract.

So my question is, is my order cancelled or is it still in progress and they'll take the £300 at another time? Also has a credit search likely been done and do I need to get it removed?

Is there nowhere within the community where people are posting "successes" about which specific devices have been arriving with them (as the in-stock on the website obviously isn't reality). If it came to it I'd like the same phone in Midnight Green but I might run into the same situation again. I'm currently with EE but I get a discount with o2 which is why I wanted to "jump ship". 

TL : DR -

a) my upfront payment got refunded, should I put anther application in? 

b) do i need to contact o2 to remove any credit searches?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I think that's very wise @simon246 good option.

There are some good sim deals at the moment so I hope the upgrade option appears again once ethe PAC has expired. Failing that, EE is calling wink

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@simon246 If your money was refunded it was either because the phone is not in stock, or you failed O2's credit check. It will not help to put in another application quickly, and you cannot ask O2 to remove any credit searches. You can try to speak to customer service regarding this, but getting through at this time, as you must already know, will be difficult.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Community-Help-and-Su...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

simon246
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If its its the credit check, theres no way to tell at the time of you were instantly accepted or your application went to underwriters? I got a full agreement sent to my e-mail so i assumed that was acceptance.

I work for a bank so I know how to maintain a strong credit file and check Experian monthly. The only weak part of my application I can think was putting my Monzo as my current account, who i've only been with since November but started putting my salary in in January.

If I ring I may get the result however o2 are unlikely to give me the exact decline code. Do people not get an e-mail if they fail a credit check or if the device isnt in stock?

If the device isn't in stock surely I am entitled to a credit check removal since they didn't have the product? I know I can't get a decline removed.
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@simon246 

Your best (and only) bet is to contact customer services. Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@simon246 

It may be that the deal didn't go through and as you know, working in a bank, the money in your account would have been held in reserve and made available again once the authorisation dropped off when O2 didn't take the payment.

It's worth calling to see if o2 have a record of an application.

If not then take a contract over the phone or make another application on line

Only by calling will you get that information.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Message 5 of 7

simon246
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called the sales line and got through immediately to what I think is maybe temp staff or someone from another department manning the phones. She took my details and said she'll call back, but she didn't put the order number into her system and check (maybe her system access was limited). At least I didnt have to wait an hour on the phone.

From what I can see, there is barely any iPhone 11 pro 256g phones on any UK shopping sites so im guessing its completed out of stock at Apples end. So maybe through some glitch I didnt get my out of stock e-mail.  Either way I have decided to buy the phone off Amazon in a 64g size, and pay it off over the next 5 months. Theyre the only ones delivering on bank holiday weekends. I may come back to o2 for a sim at a later date. 

What was annoying is that because I requested my Pac code from my current supplier, they took off my early upgrade button (im assuming this will reappear at the end of the 30 days if the number doesnt get switched over). 

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I think that's very wise @simon246 good option.

There are some good sim deals at the moment so I hope the upgrade option appears again once ethe PAC has expired. Failing that, EE is calling wink

Message 7 of 7