cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a tablet on contract, returning it (unopened)

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got a tablet on contract, but after some deliberation returning it in the cooling off period (its unopened), the livechat guys said they will send a jiffy bag for me to return it.

Ive had a few issues in the past with o2 taking out direct debits after contracts have finished and struggling to get refunds with them and massive airtime bills so Im just wondering if it could possibly happen again.

I know Im supposed to ship back the tablet in the jiffy, wait 5 or so days and then I should get a phone call or phone them to confirm they recieved it and then they should refund the money right? And then cancel the airtime, although the first airtime bill is the 8th so thats a bit close to the mark.

Anyone have any suggestions in this regard or advice? Id be grateful.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Just pack it up yourself with bubble wrap and a sturdy box.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

According to this link you should only return instore if you bought instore....?

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/our-returns-and-repairs-policy

I have never returned anything to O2 so unsure if the shop wouild accept it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 20

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
That's true enough ^^^
It has to be returned to where it came from as they are run as separate businesses.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 20

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Muppets, they know it's a tablet but send a jiffy bag for a phone. Par for the course these days....

Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I sorted it. Sent back, should be there tomorrow so once I get confirmation theyve got it hopefully I can just ring up and get upfront payment back/contract cancelled.

Anyone had to do something like this before?

Message 15 of 20

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Whilst they will return your payment it can take up to 14 days to process the refund.
Additionally, it can take up to a week for them to scan it back in and have all the systems catch up before it's cancelled off your account.......

Currently using:
Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it got delivered there this morning according to royal mail signature.

Phoned up they said it will all be processed automatically when its scanned back into the computer and the upfront payment will automatically be returned. Tho they did suggest cancelling the direct debit before any payments went out.

Message 17 of 20

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Personally, I'd leave the DD in place and if they do take a payment you can reclaim it from them - it saves them issuing a default for a missed payment.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

So it got delivered there this morning according to royal mail signature.

Phoned up they said it will all be processed automatically when its scanned back into the computer and the upfront payment will automatically be returned. Tho they did suggest cancelling the direct debit before any payments went out.

You could have a problem cancelling DD at this point @Anonymous. Just a couple of weeks back one new member did exactly that and as the payment system is automatic CS failed to put a note on the file and initial payment was attempted. As @MI5 said ..leave it in place for now and cancel when you see your account in My O2 is clear... This is the thread I was referring to http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Enforcement-and-Termination-notice/td-p/942880

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 20

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Please don't follow their bad advice to cancel the DD. It's much easier and less stressful to get a refund than getting a default wrongly marked on your credit file removed. It could take a week to get scanned back,  plenty of time for an automatic default to be placed. 

Message 20 of 20