cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nexus One phone on O2 monthly tariff

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there.

I've been with O2 for years and for my latest upgrade I chose to not receive a handset in exchange for the £35/month 500 texts 600 mins for 18 months. I chose it because every 6 months I'll receive a cash redemption of £150 which I wanted to put towards buying a handset of my choice.

I've been reading reviews all day for the Google phone but I am firstly unsure of whether it'll work with my current tariff and I am uncertain about data usage costs... For example, google maps - would I be charged for using them on the go? Is there a monthly cap or surplus charge on data usage?

Any help would be really useful. Thanks.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless you have a web bolt-on , you would be charged £3 per megabyte with a maximum charge of £1 a day. As the Nexus is a Google experience Android phone its pretty much constantly connected, so you would really need the web bolt-on or you would be paying £1 a day every day.
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I do have unlimited internet as an extra... Is this the same thing?
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Absticles,

I'm using a Google Nexus One on O2... it's a really great phone so definitely worth considering.

The phone should be compatible with your tariff, as it's essentially a sim-only one. However are you sure that you're getting a £150 redemption every 6 months? I was always under the impression that it was a one-off payment. If you've got unlimited internet, you'll be fine.

The phone comes with a UK charger, but as it's being shipped from the US, you'll have to pay import VAT, which DHL will invoice you for at a later date. Expect to pay an extra £60 - £80 on top of the final price.
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using a Google Nexus One on O2... it's a really great phone so definitely worth considering.

Out of interest, can you use the Google Maps Sat Nav in the UK? Does it work? This would be a deal breaker for me.
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can do a basic sat nav, where it calculates your route and displays on a map, updating it as you progress, but you can't do turn-by-turn navigation. Google license the map data outside of the US, and their license does not permit turn-by-turn use.

There are workarounds to get it to work - see http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11/30 ... -tutorial/, for example - but I can't vouch for them as I haven't tried.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey markle...

Thanks for your reply. So you reckon the Google Nexus is worth it? I've been doing my homework and a few people were saying that the phone is a tester for Google... They have only included a few extras that the iPhone lacks but it's still not quite revolutionary enough. And I've heard that the online support is pretty weak and there is no helpline atm as this is the first physical product Google has released. But the phone itself is obviously on par with the top smartphones on the market right now.

I am just anxious to maybe wait a little... But I don't think I can so might just have to go with it! Is the music feature any good?

The contract I'm on now should be £150 every 6 months... working out at around £10/month with no new handset. I am ringing O2 up today though so I'm going to check again!
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And have you insured the phone? I definitely need to but need to find a cheap enough plan.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And my last question, does it work on 3G? Is it fast enough?
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never used an iPhone, so I can't really offer you an iPhone / Nexus comparison (though there's plenty around online). What I do really like about the phone (and I have no idea of the iPhone can do this too) is that...

- You can buy MP3s directly from the handset (note - MP3s, not Apple DRM-loaded files that won't play on a non-Apple device)
- You can set it up to automatically download new podcasts to the handset
- Search functionality is great - you can search your text messages & emails at the same time.
- Google Goggles (OK, so maybe a bit gimicky, but very cool) - you can take a photo of a book / CD, and it will tell you what it is, with a link to buy it (and it actually works), you can take a photo of a painting in an art gallery and it will give you more info, or a photo of a shop and it will give you its website / phone number etc. If you have GPS on and point it down a street, it will try and pre-emptively label shops, again with links through to the website / phone number
- Speak-to-search - surprisingly, it works. Well.
- Seamless Gmail/Facebook integration into your contacts list (if you want).
- Fully customisable desktop where you can add direct-dial shortcuts, links to favourite apps, widgets (for example, Tube status, clock, one-click power management etc)
- Multi tasking

Music player is fine, you can scroll through artists / albums / songs or do a search. Shuffle / playlists are supported too. Not sure what more you could want. Haven't had any need to run to support but I could potentially see it being a problem. What is neat is that if you have a warranty issue, you don't send your phone away - you get sent a new phone, and you have to return the broken one once you've got the new phone.

I would agree that it perhaps feels little unfinished in places - one of the active wallpapers crashes, for example - and I think it's fair to say that perhaps the attention to detail that you get with Apple products isn't quite there. But it is overall a solid OS. Remember all of the problems the iPhone had when it launched - no MMS, no video, no copy&paste, etc etc.

I would say that if you want an Android phone, this is definitely the one to go for - because it's plain Android, without the layers added on top by some phone manufacturers, it's easy to upgrade and therefore pretty safe to assume you'll get future upgrades - particularly as it has the power under the bonnet that would be needed to run these.

Compared to the iPhone, it's about the same in price to a 3GS - you're looking at about £450 to but an N1, including import duties, so at a £20 / mo simplicity contract, over 18 months, it works out at about the same, but you have the added flexibility of being able to move network.

It's insured under my home contents insurance.

To be honest - I love the phone, but I was really against getting an iPhone - I didn't want to have to use all of Apple's proprietary software, have a locked down apps marketplace, or have my music tied into Apple's DRM. Not to mention everyone else has one already wink
Message 10 of 16