cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to greece

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im off to Greece (Zante) thursday and ive been reading upon the using my phone aboard and seen I already have the travel bolt on. I had popped into O2 in Birmingham just for some reassurance, but was left puzzled.

I was told I would have to pay £48 to get 250MB of data? All though the website says:

If you're travelling in Europe on our standard rates we'll cap your internet use at £48 (inc VAT)/250MB

So do I have to pay £48 or will it be capped if I spend £48? I was also told the £1.99 data for 24hrs was 25MB but website says:

There's no upper limit on Pay Monthly, but traffic management steps apply.

What does that mean?

Im just looking to use my phone to ring back to the UK and maybe lay on the beach while facebooking/tweeting jealous beach pictures to my family and friends.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/travel

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

Look at these.

You could also consider using Tugo on wifi

Upper limit means you pay £1.99 per day for all your data.
Message 2 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you have O2 Travel you pay £1.99 a day for as much data as you need - No limit but speeds may be slowed for streaming in certain circumstances, however, emails, facebook etc won't be effected.
All calls are charged at a 50p connection charge (in or out) and minutes for outgoing calls come out of your UK allowance for up to 60 minutes - Redial on 59 minutes to avoid standard roaming charges.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 27

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There is no upper limit for the £1.99 a day but data may be capped or slowed down.

Message 4 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And as you lot have always preached to me...use WiFi when possible. I am a convert to Wifi wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot all for the reassurance. Means now I can make people jealous lol. Also can I go to My O2 app and check my balance and see the charges?

Has anyone got a gopro and used it aboard and used the wifi feature if anyone knows what I mean? Im taking my gopro camera and was thinking of taking pics and small videos to upload to fb. Or would I be better of using an internet cafe to do this? 

Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Nope not used that. Cameras and me don't play nice. 😞

As said rule of thumb is to use WiFi as often as possible.
Message 7 of 27

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm not sure on the rules for tethering your gopro to the phone so might be wise to use a normal wifi connection for that.... and share some of your wild water skiing videos when you come home slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Remember your speed will be slowed after 100mb and if it's like the slowing they used to do in the uk it will be almost unusable
Message 9 of 27

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 27