cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I will be moving to Australia from Feburary and wondering how I cancel my monthly contract? I would like to keep my current number and use pay as you go.

Thanks

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Help here but basically call 202 and request a change to PAYG. You will have to pay off any outstanding fees though http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
What stage are at with your contract ? And which one are you on.

This will determine any fees.

You can ask for your account to be made a payg one which moves your number to it.

Phone O2 Customer Services. 202 for Contract

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus to achieve this.

You still need to top up every 999 days and make a call every 6 months to keep it live.

Message 2 of 22

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Help here but basically call 202 and request a change to PAYG. You will have to pay off any outstanding fees though http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add.......before you move from contract to payg you can ask for your mobile phone to be unlocked for free , if it is locked to O2, so you can use any SIM card in it, including foreign SIM cards.

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network
Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
No need to unlock your phone to use an O2 PAYG sim card in it though.....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
No need to unlock your phone to use an O2 PAYG sim card in it though.....

Agreed , however unlocking it opens more scope on its use or increases it's street value.........

Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Who said they wanted to sell it?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't already done so, it's worth seeing if you're handset is unlocked before you go! 

My brother went 18 months ago, and had a bit of trouble trying to unlock his, from over there!

Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes we've heard it can be more tricky to unlock. 

To Unlatch while abroad " the only condition is the customer must have both the O2 active SIM and another network active SIM with them to perform unlatching."

Message 9 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If you haven't already done so, it's worth seeing if you're handset is unlocked before you go! 

My brother went 18 months ago, and had a bit of trouble trying to unlock his, from over there!

That has been mentioned before and we understand it is practically impossible to unlock once abroad...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22