Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad for a year

viks43
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I pay for my sons monthly plan, but he's going abroad to Sweden for a year. I know Sweden is in the zone where you won't incur charges if you're roaming on holiday. I was just wondering how long he'd be able to use his phone abroad, is there a time limit on how long you can use it?. If so is there a bolt on he can add for using it for the year abroad.

Thanks smiley

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

He'll need a local SIM card to use in his current phone:

https://www.routesnorth.com/living-and-working/getting-a-swedish-sim-card/ 

He could also take his UK sim and use it intermittently and in addition  to the local one, but use would have to be very sparing, and mostly not used and not connected, and additionally used in the UK, at various points over the year, and would  probably not be the best use of the monthly tarrif charges

(This is done to avoid ex-pats or foreign nationals  from getting UK Sims and using them exclusively where they live )

If he just uses his UK sim he will most likely be cut off after a couple of months and will have had 

serious issues with data speeds and conectivity.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@viks43

If you use our services outside the UK in our Europe Zone for 60 or more days in any four month period this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services.

T&C's here https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy

May be best to call customer services to see what they advise.on 202.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

He could also take his UK sim and use it intermittently and in addition  to the local one, but use would have to be very sparing, and mostly not used and not connected, and additionally used in the UK, at various points over the year, and would  probably not be the best use of the monthly tarrif charges

(This is done to avoid ex-pats or foreign nationals  from getting UK Sims and using them exclusively where they live )

If he just uses his UK sim he will most likely be cut off after a couple of months and will have had 

Message 3 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@viks43 Make sure your son's phone is unlocked before he travels.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

..........(This is done to avoid ex-pats or foreign nationals  from getting UK Sims and using them exclusively where they live )

Which is exactly why I'm done with O2 when I eventually get back HOME!

Message 5 of 9

Tsidkenu1es
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 79 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Wave @viks43 Welcome to the Forum...! To save any troubles, I would do what @Anonymous suggested, ... when I travel abroad I always use their local SIMS, it will save money all round.

All the best to you and your son... smiling

One Family * One Community * One Love * One Purpose
*************** UNITED ONE WORLD ***************
***** LOVE***********PEACE************JOY*******
* The Future Is In Our Hearts Our Minds And Our Souls *
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Tsidkenu1es wrote:

when I travel abroad I always use their local SIMS, it will save money all round.

All the best to you and your son... smiling

For local calls and data yes, calling back to UK could be more expensive and you'd also have to give everyone a new number to contact you on, which would cost them more to call from the UK.

A local sim is not always the best answer to a blanket question on roaming.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I'm quite lucky that using a local sim to call ask to the UK aren't expensive, around 5p  a minute,  but so many apps give free wifi calling and texts these days. Let's be honest, most people have a wifi messaging app no matter the o2. Exception being grandparents, elderly parents and aunts/uncles.

Message 8 of 9

viks43
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, all thanks for your replies, I'll get him a local sim slight_smile

Message 9 of 9