Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Genie / o2 WAP Not working

Hi can I ask when did you get an upgrade? do you mean this week? just I was told by 3 different operators at upgrades & retentions that because mine is a 12mth contract that they can't offer me a handset outright as before because they only give those on 18mth contracts now (and you'd have to change your tariff blah blah!) and that the most they would do is a £100 credit to use off of my bills or a handset. I've actually emailed a complaint to the complaints review service as I've had this contract for abt 13yrs and was told several times no upgrade available on this tariff since it was o2 and now it seems I should've been given a new phone once a year (hence am a tad p'd off!).

With regards the compensation!
I have had a credit for 2 months rental (at £20 a month), I've also had all the calls I made by mistake as had swapped sims over in my phones because they took so long to fix the gsm and had to use gprs sim - anyway calls totalled about £28 and I have tons of free calls on my other sim so I told them I'm not paying!
Anyway you have to demand a call from a manager and tell them how many hours, days, weeks of your life you've given up ringing o2, generally talking to stupid ppl who don't know what gsm and don't care (give or take the odd couple!).
Don't take no for an answer and it IS part of your tariff "UNLIMITED WAP" so they can't say they don't have to compensate you if you've paid for something you haven't had!

I'll let you know what happens abt the handset at some point!

G4E!

During all the carry on over the GSM i realised i was due my annual free upgrade,but decided to wait til the issue was resolved before commiting myself to another 12 months with o2. I've now got my new phone,Nokia 6303, and was able to stay on the same tariff (£20 month, 5oo free wap and voice mins), but i was a bit worried if i'd be able to access GSM wap on it seeing as o2 no longer have the settings available. When i went to my config settings i was able to select GSM wap...wahay i thought! But every time i try to access anything,it goes straight to GPRS. I've looked on the net to see all the settings that i need, but can't find anywhere on the phone to enter the dial up number, which i presume is whats stopping me getting GSM. I'd be grateful if anyone could offer me any help. Really don't want to phone cust services coz we all know they don't know the 1st thing about GSM wap!
Highlighted
Anonymous

GSM SETTINGS

As a few people mentioned settings I thought I would put the basic gsm settings up.. even if it's of use to one person, lol....

How to get to the relevant section will vary from handset to handset depending on manufacturer, if you still can't locate it search the internet for further help!

my phone is a Sony Ericsson "Walkman" W810i

Head for SETTINGS > CONNECTIVITY > DATA COMM. > DATA ACCOUNTS > now you need an account named O2 WAP GSM - click on edit if it's already there!(if not NEW ACCOUNT> GSM data > Name (O2 WAP GSM)

Phone number - 915000
(this shortcode works perfectly fine no matter what o2 staff say! they may try to make you enter an alternative mobile number - the reason I use 915000 is because it was what I was first given with my contract and it's guaranteed you won't be charged on Genie tariff using this!)
Username - o2wap
Password - password
(lower caps! eg small letters not capitals!)
Login request - Off
Data rate - 9.6 kbits/s

Dial type - ISDN
DNS address - 82.132.138.128
(this is what I was told to change it to last year after a DNS update when it didn't work for 3 weeks!)

hit save once you've entered these individually - you can just come out without saving if already entered correctly!
Make sure under Preferred Service you have GSM only ticked

Going back to SETTINGS > CONNECTIVITY click on INTERNET SETTINGS > INTERNET PROFILES - make sure your o2 WAP GSM account is ticked here.

Now IF o2's GSM is actually working you 'should' be able to use gsm wap with your Genie tariff sim! tadaaaaa....
Highlighted
Anonymous

I have been offered a £5 goodwill gesture off of my next month's line rental for all the phonecalls regarding the outage of WAP service.

I am not entitled to upgrade my handset or receive the £100 credit to my account without changing to a tariff that is at least £35 per month either according to the team leader I spoke to.

Has anyone else been able to ''upgrade'' and stay on the same Genie tariff?

I'm also p'd off given that I could've potentially been upgrading each year in the past after having had this contract for 8 years!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Is wap still down, i havent been able to connect for a few days. Just havent had time to call O2 and check.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Still working ok in glasgow. In reply to previous posts,i'm on a 12 month contract,had it for about 7/8 yrs i think. Was able to get a free upgrade every year,but didn't always take advantage of it. I know,i probably should have! I pay £20 a month,and get 500 free off peak voice mins,500 free gsm wap mins, and 500 free texts. While i'm on, i've been meaning to ask for ages...what exactly is Genie?? Whenever i see it mentioned on here,i've got no idea!
Still no joy getting gsm wap on my new nokia 6303 btw. Will send phone back i think if it stays that way.