Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Genie / o2 WAP Not working

Had a call from o2 customer services again today.

They are saying they no nothing about a horse, sorry, I mean the genie wap being down.

Its obviously my phone which is faulty so they say, even though it was working perfectly just 2 weeks ago.

However the snag is this, as above either your phone is too old and must be faulty, and you cant put the chip into a new phone because its just to shiny and new.. so how do we win? Perhaps stay with our orignal phone whats not broken in the first place? My old nokia 3330 runs the genie wap fine on the orignial sim card when o2 give us a chance of some service.

Of course they give the old violin story about it being an old contract and they dont support it etc... umm what was that word again CONTRACT, yes that legal binding word between two or more parties. I reminded them of that too.
If it say in my contract im entitled to free internet, then whats what i want.
If it says i pay them £10 a month, then thats what they want and we agreed back in July 2001.

They are trying to tempt me onto a another plan, however ive had both 300 minutes quoted, then next time its change to 600 mins. i wonder if i may become another of O2 dupped victimns who get told one thing, but receive another, then your stuffed!

STAY with the Genie contracts for now! And keep on ringing up customer services and alerting them to this forum that you are not alone, its them in their deniance to the problem.
Highlighted
Anonymous

genie

i really cant be bothered anymore!i m cancelling my contract tomorrow!its beyond a joke now!
Highlighted
Anonymous

What contract are you going for instead?
Highlighted
Anonymous

genie

i aint doing a contract!i m gonna get a sim card for web and text payg and one for giffgaff!
Highlighted
Anonymous

no wap either

My husband and I both have the £10 a month genie contract from 2001. Neither of us can access dial up wap and both of us have used it for no problem for the past 9 years.
He contacted O2 and they claimed there was no problem, it was probably just his sim so now their sending him a new one.
That is a rubbish excuse when I'm on my third new sim since 2001, the most recent one is only 6 months old as I had my phone stolen recently and I cant get wap to work either.
The are just full of rubbish, why don't they just admit they've scrapped the service to try and force us all over to new contracts. :robotmad:

I'm in London btw, so if I can't get a signal no one must be able to.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I was also told that there isn't a problem with the network. I've got a new Pay & Go Text and Web sim and treated myself to a Samsung Monte. Am currently awaiting my Genie number to be transferred to the new sim. Although i was very reluctant to give up my old contract, Pay & Go will actually be a lot cheaper for me. The web is a lot faster than the dial up ever was. O2 have lost another steady income...

EDIT:
Incidentally, i still have the original sim from about 10 years ago. I didn't know that O2 would change it. I had always assumed that if i lost or broke the sim, that was the end of the contract because a new sim would mean a new contract...
Highlighted
Anonymous

We've now given up hope and switched to giffgaff. They've lost two loyal customers with 10 years of regular payments behind them. I know £10 a month might be a drop in the ocean for O2 but I'm still disappointed they couldn't at least admit they had withdrawn the dial up service and offer us an alternative.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You do realise that giffgaff is owned by O2? (But run seperately)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Exactly the same problem from Cambridge.
Genie WAP just stopped working suddenly a few weeks ago.
I had been using it perfectly well without a problem for 10+ years.
It worked fine until a few weeks ago and I could access several websites.

So it is no more. People around the country are talking about it. The dial-up "modem-style" noises start when you dial 915000 and it goes through the process of connecting but then it fails.

Could it be that O2 have done a sneaky thing and barred connecting from 915000 when login=geniewap ? If so, they are seriously dropping in my estimation!

I have been with them since 1998 on monthly contracts. I am an ultra low phone user, yet I am paying £10+VAT monthly *only* for the occasional wap access. If anything, they are benefiting more out me than I am out of them. Then the decent thing to do is switch over to 3 and get free Skype and 3G internet. It seems that for my occasional usage it will end up cheaper.

Come on O2, give us a reply! The clock is ticking!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Has anyones Genie WAP come back yet?
Thanks.