Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Genie / o2 WAP Not working

>genie wap not working
>by canu on Fri May 14, 2010 12:04 pm same here for past few days, i've emailed customer services

When i emailed customer services, i received this reply...

"I've checked your account and see that your tariff is not
compatible with Internet services, due to which you might not be able to
access Internet. If you wish to have Internet services on your account,
I'd suggest you to upgrade our new tariff. To know more about Simplicity
tariff, please click on the link below: "

Funny, as our accounts come with unlimtied access to the internet via WAP.

It just goes to prove the lack of knowledge customer care have for Genie customers.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Despite what you say (those are all old handsets), the majority of handsets are not capable of making a dial up WAP connection. (They use packet data exclusively). So the number of users will fall over time.
So I don't think you can blame the customer service rep too much for not having heard of it.
However, I think that O2 should decide once and for all whether they will continue to offer the 915000 service. So you know where you stand. They should be able to offer you a service with landline minutes, packet data and texts on a SIM only basis.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Interestingly my phone just connected to the 915000 service for the first time for a week. Howerver there was no data flow to the phone....
Perhaps things are moving again?

Anyone else now connecting but no data flowing..?
Highlighted
Anonymous

genie/o2 wap not working

it seems its an o2 wide outage and other various problems
Highlighted
Anonymous

genie/o2 wap not working

same here. it connects but the pages do not load
Highlighted
Anonymous

Called customer services again today, they still have `no idea` about this outage.

Im trying a new sim card next.

Im wondering what areas other genie users are in, as they say it must only be local to me ... even though i travel about all over!

Im near Brighton....
Highlighted
Anonymous

Me too. Am on the original Genie £10 a month contract which i've had for about 10 years. Had lots of problems on and off over than last year or so. Don't use the WAP very often but wanted to check the Horse Racing results this afternoon and couldn't connect. I've memorised the GSM 915000 settings over the last couple of years!

I've kept my old Samsung V200 as it comes in handy to confirm if the network is down or i've somehow ******** the settings on my newer (lol!) D500. Incidentally, which phones are compatible with GSM WAP? My D500 is battered and in need of replacement but i don't know which phones to shortlist.

Also of interest, about 3 years ago i lost the settings and did the "send me settings" text message thing - they sent me the GPRS settings BUT they actually worked for a few months (maybe longer). Then it just stopped working, so i phoned O2 support who told me i have NEVER had GPRS on my contract. Asked for GSM settings (waste of time - they've never heard of GSM), ended up going back to the 915000 dial up.

PS. I'm in Hereford if it makes any odds...
Highlighted
Anonymous

New sim didnt work, i knew it wouldnt!!

Birchy: Thanks for posting, even though i keep telling o2 there are many more users affected they never listen. So its good to get something offical and it is more global then a local issue.

Regards settings, i have posted below my settings i use when i format my xda from time to time... please feel free to use them, you wont find them in many places!

If o2 are reading this, perhaps these may help you !!

©MPW 2010 - Genie Wap on XDA Orbit Settings
===========================================

In connections / Network Management: have both settings set to My Work Network.

In Modem: create new account called Genie use the celluar line modem.
The number to call is 915000
Username geniewap
Password password
domian

In advanced settings, make sure only use server assigned IP address is selected.
Have Use Slip UNticked
User sofware compression Ticked
Use IP header compression Ticked

in servers tab, Have user spec serve addres selected. but will all settings to 0

The proxy settings are:
Tick the network connects to interst
Tick this network uses a proxy server
Proxy serer is 193.113.200.195

HTTP 193.113.200.195 :8080
WAP 193.113.200.195 :9201
SECRWAP 193.113.200.195 :9203
SOCKS

Must then connect to http://wap.genie.co.uk
Highlighted
Anonymous

genie

i m in herefordshire!o2 just make it up as they go along!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: genie

i m in herefordshire!o2 just make it up as they go along!
Another country bumkin. Yarp!! lol

To be honest i'm thinking i would be better off changing to the PAYG Text and Web tariff as i make about 3 or 4 short calls a month, send between 20 and 100 texts and use the WAP a couple of times a week for about 10 mins a time. My thinking is that with my low usage, i'd only need to top up £10 every couple of months rather than spending £10 EVERY month...