cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 pre order upgrade deal offer phone call........

Anonymous
Not applicable

i got a call last Wednesday 2nd April from o2 asking me did i want to do pre order upgrade deal on a Galaxy S5. I have had an S4 since last July. They offered me £170 on recycle for my S4 (i know its worth more to stick it on gumtree etc), but also offered to pay the remaining balance of £150 on my refresh contract, as a goodwill gesture. Basically an S5 for free. The catch...i had to send them £320 plus my S4 and in return, they would send me an S5 and my £320 back. eh?! anyway, the call was brief as i was busy at work, but they said they would call again the next day. no word so far....thought it was a bit dubious, but i rang customer services this evening, and there is a note that o2 did indeed ring me last Wed at the time i logged.

anyone else had this call / offer?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi simes6600,

If you don't mind, please private-message me with some details (phone number and full name) and I can try and ascertain who called you.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did CS confirm that was why they called? Seems too good to be true to be honest but then stranger things have happened at sea.

As I rule I would never sign up to anything on a cold call. I prefer to make the outbound call. There have been issues flagged on here where o2 "partners" have cold called and signed people up to inappropriate deals.

Best to call CS yourself and check and if the deal is on the table then decide if it is right for you.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

CS had no idea what the call was about, but did say there was a note on my account that o2 called me last Wed morning. CS said as the call was made by their outbound team, he had no idea or note what the call was about.

as i said previously, i was dubious (and prob still am!) about this. I asked CS to give me a contact number to call the dept who rang me with the deal, he said he couldn't as it was an "outbound" call..hmmm

anyway, the o2 number that rang me is 0845 293 0018. if you call it you get a recorded o2 message stating that you should call 202.

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it were true would you be interested in the deal? If so it sounds like there may be something in it. ..... But tread cautiously as you quite rightly already have. 😀
Message 4 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Send £320 and receive it back? Doesn't sound right to me whoever it is to be honest. Personally I wouldn't be interested.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

i might be interested, but am puzzled by the idea that they would want me to give them £320 upfront, so they can in turn give it back to me. don't think the S5 is worth the hassle of what they are offering, its not the big update i had hoped for. The £320 upfront must be their security measure that when/if i got the S5 first from them, i didn't do a runner.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would certainly be cautious as, like you, I can't see the point of sending money in to pay it back.

I can't make my mind up if it could be true or not. So I would be mindful to do as many checks as you can before considering it.
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

CS put on a note on my account for the dept who contacted me with the deal, to ring me back asap. i also enquired about how quick i could get a PAC code, hopefully that'll speed them up wink

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with jonsie

It seems a pointless task to send off an amount only for it to be returned at a later date.

If the notes support the quashing of the rest of your running contract then surly it would be a case of sending your phone back in a supplied Jiffy bag.

Always take note of a callers name , date and time they called.

What I would say is their will be more deals available IMO when O2 start pushing this handset big time.
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does sound a bit dodgy to me why would you send them money just for them to pay it back be very careful
Message 10 of 14