Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

GPS and monthly allowance

Hi im sean and this is my first post here Smiley Happy i have a quick question
does using my GPS consume the amount of data im allocated each month? like if i use the satnav or google maps or any other app that will require GPS?
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: GPS and monthly allowance

If it uses the internet for data via the mobile network then it will come out of your allowance. Wifi will be different or free depending on how you connect (but make sure you switch off the mobile network first else it could default to a large bill).
On some phones, the GPS function will use the mobile network to get a position i.e. A-GPS (assisted) which only consumes a small amount of data. It does depend on what mapping software/app you use. On my co-pilot (winmob 6.1), it doesn't need an internet connection but can use A-GPS if enabled. Built in maps means it doesn't need to connect.
BTW, which phone do you have?
Anonymous

Hi Sean,
Using GPS will usually involve your phone making a data connection because the handset needs to download your map. For example using google maps on an iphone requires a data connection because the map itsef isn't stored on the phone.
Some sat nav applications don't require a data connection because the maps are stored in the phone itself.
Also, most mobiles use what's called A-GPS, the A stands for assisted. This means that the phone uses the cellular connection as well as gps satellites to get your position faster.
Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Anonymous

I think Sheepdog and I must have been typing at alomst the same time on that one! Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

hey guys thnx for the replies and clearing it up for me and i have a galaxy S
how is it you can tell which is using a connection and which is not?
i must sound like a noob
Anonymous

If it's a sat nav application like co-pilot then I'd imagine your maps will be on the phone.
Google maps definitely needs to download maps using your data connection.
You could try putting your phone into flight mode and seeing if your application still works or even just taking out your sim Smiley Happy
Anonymous

good idea Smiley Happy i shall try that in the future im always checking how much internet i have left a month i dont wanna go over it i hear don the radio a few months ago how people complain about excessive charges
Anonymous

The good news is that o2 don't charge you once you've used up, for example, your 500mb of data. They just slow the connection speed right down so it's only really useful for basic tasks such as sending an email.
Anonymous

Is that 100% accurate? Cause thats quite good saves people accidently running up a fat sum to pay
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

If you have one of the new data boltons then as canwefixit says no excess charge in the uk and data capped to £40 if roaming up to 50mb.
If you post your tariff and when started and any boltons we can confirm your data charges,
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services