Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

GPS and Unlimited bolt on?????

Hi, I have a question if anyone can help?

I have the N82, could I use GPS with my Unlimited Web bolt-on? And if so what would be best to use the built in maps or Google maps, or any others?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Peppers.

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

Yes you can use it. Both Nokia Maps and Google Maps will work and it won't cost you. Nokia maps is better in many ways as the maps are on the handset, Google downloads as you go and if you lose your signal you lose your maps. Also Nokia will give voice guided nav for a subscription fee - i got 18 months for free which was nice! But if it's only occasionally you'll use it you can subscribe for a week at a time. Google will provide a route and draw it over the map and your location on the map will move through your gps. So it's more like following a normal map. Google maps can be a bit more detailed though. So basically if you just want a map, use google, if you want sat nav, use nokia maps.
Anonymous

Thanks Meh, does it use a good chunk of your web allowance though? I think I'll take your advice and use the Nokia Maps, as you say they are built in!! Thanks very much for your reply/help, it is appreciated indeed.

Peppers.
Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

Nokia Maps will use a tiny tiny amount of data, just for the A-GPS to get get a location from the server. Google Maps will use more. Your web bolt-on (if you're on pay monthly) is unlimited but if you spend all day every day on Google Maps you will possibly annoy o2! I often search for somewhere on Google Maps, save it as a favourite/landmark, then use Nokia Maps to navigate to it. Update Nokia Maps through your computer if you can, but I got the up to date version via a Nokia OTA firmware update though.
Anonymous

Meh,

Thanks for your help on this,

It's very appreciated indeed!

Regards,

Peppers Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just wanted to mention that Google Maps caches it's images. I'm not sure how big the cache is, but should be enough for you to map out wherever you're going.

I prefer to use Google Maps to Nokia maps, because Nokia maps seem painfully slow to use in comparison to the relatively nippy Google Maps. FYI, I'm using a Nokia E51 (no GPS Smiley Sad )