Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

I have an LG Cookie with a Pay As You Go O2 sim. I can plug it in via USB to my laptop, and use the GPRS modem in the phone to tether a connection for my laptop. I am confused about the legality of this. Can anyone give me a clear answer to whether this breaks any terms of service.

I am also thinking of getting a Nexus One and putting the same sim in it, so I can tether a 3G connection. Is this legal too?
Highlighted
Topics: 294
Kudos: 1,848
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,312

GPRS Tethering

are you talking with or with out a data bolton?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

Not sure. To be honest, I don't know anything about bolt-ons. I have the Text & Web, Pay & Go plan.
Highlighted

GPRS Tethering

[ Edited ]
ok on the text and web tariff see this T&C taken from here http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/ ... ndboltons#

The inclusive Unlimited Web Bolt On can be used in the UK only for your unlimited use (subject to this excessive usage policy) of Telefónica O2 UK's GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone.
All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

The bold and underlined means no tethering.
Apple Watch series 4
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

Thank you for the quick reply Smiley Happy I guess I ought to not tether it anymore then.
Highlighted

GPRS Tethering

Also the unlimeted is restricted to a fup of 500 mb a laptop could eat that up quickly. then £3.00 a mb
Apple Watch series 4

Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

Really? I haven't gone over that yet then, as I haven't seen any sudden drops in my credit.

How can I retain my Pay & Go plan, but have internet tethering on a Nexus One?
Highlighted

GPRS Tethering

As far as I know o2 only offer tethering as an aditional bolton for the iphone.

You would need to speak to customer services to confirm this as these forums are basically customer to customer with a few c/s people posting.

also on 2g it would take a long time to hit 500mb but on 3g that would not take long watching streaming etc
Apple Watch series 4

Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

As far as I know o2 only offer tethering as an aditional bolton for the iphone.
You would need to speak to customer services to confirm this as these forums are basically customer to customer with a few c/s people posting.
also on 2g it would take a long time to hit 500mb but on 3g that would not take long watching streaming etc

Correct. Tethering is only available through iPhone.
Pay & Go don't support using handsets as a modem due to the amount of data that would be transmitted through the network and reduce capacity for all other users.
Highlighted
Anonymous

GPRS Tethering

Thank you.

Just wondering, does anyone know if O2 planning on offering the Nexus One on contract, like they did with the iPhone?