Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

Hi I've just downloaded the GMail App for my N82, and I have the unlimited web bolt on. The file was about 256kb, will this come out of my allowance??

Also can it be set to check for mail in intervals??

Or would it be better for me to just set up GMail using the Nokia email set up, and will that check at intervals??

Sorry for all the questions guy's :robotsurprised: :robotsurprised: Smiley Very Happy :womanindifferent:

Sincerely,

Peppers.
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

If you have the web bolt-on, the download will be free, and any emailing you do will also be free.

I'm not sure how it works with checking email periodically as I don't have it on all the time, however I tried it once and it didn't beep or anything when new email arrived - but perhaps I did something wrong.

The Nokia email which is included in the phone's message menu (if it's similar to the N95's) is better actually, as it does check periodically, it alerts you of new emails and the @ sign stays on screen till you've read the emails. It can also display HTML emails and attachments, which is something the GMail app unfortunately doesn't do (it only displays emails in text).

Nokia have also made a separate email app, but it doesn't seem to work very well, not with me anyway. It checks emails only when it feels like it, and even then sometimes it misses some new emails and shows them at random.
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

If you have the web bolt-on, the download will be free, and any emailing you do will also be free.
I'm not sure how it works with checking email periodically as I don't have it on all the time, however I tried it once and it didn't beep or anything when new email arrived - but perhaps I did something wrong.
The Nokia email which is included in the phone's message menu (if it's similar to the N95's) is better actually, as it does check periodically, it alerts you of new emails and the @ sign stays on screen till you've read the emails. It can also display HTML emails and attachments, which is something the GMail app unfortunately doesn't do (it only displays emails in text).
Nokia have also made a separate email app, but it doesn't seem to work very well, not with me anyway. It checks emails only when it feels like it, and even then sometimes it misses some new emails and shows them at random.

Hi DonDino2,

Appreciate your help Mate,

Thank you for the reply!

Can you point me in the right way of using e mail on the Nokia N82, so it checks periodically??

Would I be better setting up an o2 e Mail account on my fone, and will this retreive automatically?

Thanks Mate Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

Hi Peppers,

on my N95 (should be similar to yours), it goes something like this:

Go into menu -> messaging, there if you have never set up email before there should be a dummy account or perhaps an o2 mail account, or something that says email (among the 'New message', 'Inbox', etc). Go into that one.

Once inside, press Options -> Email settings. There you have several options for configuring your POP3 or IMAP mailbox. I've found Gmail behaves better with IMAP (as it doesn't mess with your emails on the server which is useful if you also use Outlook on your computer). The last option, Automatic retrieval, is where you tell it to auto-update the email notifications and whether to automatically retrieve the emails as well. As far as I've seen there is no setting for the checking interval, nor have I counted how many minutes it takes between checks by default, as I don't use it regularly. But it will check them every few minutes or so.

I'm not familiar at all with o2 mail. It's supposed to get all your emails to your phone, but as I don't use it at all I've never bothered to look into setting it up Smiley Tongue
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

Hi, DonDino2,

Thanks for your help on this,

I will have a play around with the info and see what I can come up with. I may have a try with the o2 e mail, see how that goes.

Thanks for your input it is very appreciated indeed.

Peppers Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

Hi Peppers,
on my N95 (should be similar to yours), it goes something like this:
Go into menu -> messaging, there if you have never set up email before there should be a dummy account or perhaps an o2 mail account, or something that says email (among the 'New message', 'Inbox', etc). Go into that one.
Once inside, press Options -> Email settings. There you have several options for configuring your POP3 or IMAP mailbox. I've found Gmail behaves better with IMAP (as it doesn't mess with your emails on the server which is useful if you also use Outlook on your computer). The last option, Automatic retrieval, is where you tell it to auto-update the email notifications and whether to automatically retrieve the emails as well. As far as I've seen there is no setting for the checking interval, nor have I counted how many minutes it takes between checks by default, as I don't use it regularly. But it will check them every few minutes or so.
I'm not familiar at all with o2 mail. It's supposed to get all your emails to your phone, but as I don't use it at all I've never bothered to look into setting it up Smiley Tongue

I meant to ask you what E Mail provider do you use on your N95?

Peppers Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

I use Gmail. I use the Gmail app most of the time, and the built-in email function when there is an email with an attachment that I want to open and see.
Highlighted
Anonymous

GMail

I use Gmail. I use the Gmail app most of the time, and the built-in email function when there is an email with an attachment that I want to open and see.

Thanks for the help Mate, appreciated. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink