Did you mean: 

GDRP & Cancelling my contract early

Sataana
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have just recieved an email from O2, informing me about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - and how this will affect me.

The line I am most concerned with is "To keep you connected to our network and manage your account, we need to store some basic information"

After some research and asking around, this seems to also require a change in ToS / Contract.

I have been told that if I do not agree with this change, I am able to terminate my contract as of immidiately without a fine / fee for doing so.

I have tried to verify this using the online chat how ever, unsurprisingly, the agent did not understand my query and instead informed me of my current balance and charges.

Is there anyone on the forum that is able to verify this?
Has anyone gone through this yet?
I know that O2 is in the business of keeping costumers, so what would be the exact words to tell them to understand that the contract should be terminated immidiately as of today without fees / penalties? 

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144669 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
You need to call and speak to customer service on 202.
I’m sure they have a department to dea with this!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123111 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I certainly have no experience of it at all @Sataana

It may be hidden deep in the terms and conditions but nothing I have heard of before.:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

Hi,

Do you have the full email from o2 - obvioulsy remove any personal information.

As o2 already hold the PII data covered by GDPR then I cant see why you would have any rights to cancel.

Part 6 of the T&C's already cover this as well

"6. How we use your information - We will collect information about how you use our Services and third party services you use in conjunction with our Services, including for example your location and account activity, to enhance your overall experience with us and make it more relevant to you. W e may use and analyse your personal details to help us run your Service(s) and account, including for credit checking and fraud prevention. We may share and combine that data and your information with carefully selected third parties for all those same reasons. Your information is treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy, which can be viewed here: o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/privacy-policy."

GDPR is about accessing your data, and it being held securely.

This might help as well o2 FAQs and here https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/privacy-policy

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 11

Sataana
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144669 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
I’ve read the email I had and it doesn’t say anything about being able to cancel, free or otherwise.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Presumably then,  anyone on contract will be receiving this email. I'm not sure how they would allow everyone to cancel without penalty. That would seem to be a strange business decision.

I don't understand wanting to end your contact because of this unless you are unhappy for other reasons. All networks store basic information, it's a contract so they need to. ...

Message 7 of 11

Sataana
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Correct, there is nothing, and there would never be, anything in any e-mail offering to cancel a contract, that would be a poor business descission.

This does, how ever, not mean that this change is not a valid reason to cancel.
Wether anyone understands why I would cancel over this is not really relevant.

I am simply looking to see if anyone has gone through with this reasoning for cancelation? And if so, how did it go?

Please do not take this the wrong way, in the basics you could look at it in a very simply matter.

"I want out of my contract, will this change allow me to without paying a fine?"
This sounds a lot worse to me, but it is what it boils down to if you take away the "why" I want out.

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144669 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
The answer is “no”

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

We've had no posts about anyone being allowed to cancel without penalty due to data storage changes or as to how they use this data. Anyone who goes to a trusted partner or independent such as car phone warehouse will find as soon as you give them your mobile number, they will have your address details and I'm sure that would be the same whichever network you are with. Unless you are P&G of course.

So I would definitely say no to your question.

Message 10 of 11