Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front camera has stopped working on my Samsung Galaxy Note8

ChrisH
Level 3: Thinker
  • 103 Posts
  • 30 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I just woke up to find my front camera isn't working. I only realised because facial recognition unlock wasn't working so I unregistered my face then tried to register it again but got the error:

Face recognition not working
Couldn't open Camera. Try again

I rebooted but the same issues happens again.

I went to the camera and the rear camera is working fine but when I flip to the front icon I get error:

Warning
Unknown error occurred.

I typed *#0*# into the phone to enter diagnostics then selected "Front camera" which reported:

Camera failed

I have cleared cache/data of the Camera app - that did not fix it.

I will try a factory reset and, if needed, installation of latest firmware via Odin but if that fails do you think I need to return it to o2 for repair?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Good grief, what a fuss!
But at least it's working again now slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 14

ChrisH
  • 103 Posts
  • 30 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have edited my last post because I'm not sure it is working.

It works from the camera app and I got face recognition working. The diagnostics via the "Samsung Members" app show it is working (it didn't before - rear camera worked fine but front camera didn't take a picture and the whole app just froze) but when I use the diagnostic app (*#0*#) and select "Front Camera" is says "Warning: Camera failed".

So, to all intents and purposes, the camera works for my standard usage, but the diagnostics failing has me concerned.

I think I need to find out if anyone else can try using *#0*# and see what happens for them on the same phone.

Message 12 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Probably still a good idea to get Samsung to look at it once you have your proof of purchase from o2?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 14

ChrisH
  • 103 Posts
  • 30 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I think I'll do just that
Message 14 of 14