Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Free on all tarifs....or not

Try going to another vendor rather than the O2 website. They offer different deals but still on O2. My daughter has had her X10 for 9 months. She walked into Carphone Warehouse saw one, liked it and got it. She was sold the phone on a standard tariff 600 minutes, 3000 Texts or similar for £30 per month, she asked about the data and Carphone Warehouse then sold her a bolt on for 500MB for £5 a month. Easy.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Doesn't that make it exactly the same tariff though, as it's £5 more expensive and gives you a data bolt-on?
Like I've mentioned, it's not just the data that makes it more expensive - it's the fact the phones you get with it are £3-400, as you can choose whether or not to have data if you're taking a lower cost phone like the X8.
The reason they all include data is not because no-one wants to take the tariff without data, but because the people who have worked out they don't want data are in a huge minority compared to people who don't understand how smartphones work and will add £30+ to their bill every month because they don't think they need it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

CPW didn't do anything different from what O2 would do. In reality a 'smartphone tariff' actually is just a normal tariff with a £5 data bolt on added, so their action wasn't all that impressive. It was just the right thing to do
Highlighted
Anonymous

To go back to the original point though, to say 'Free on all tariffs' or even 'Free on all pay monthly' tariffs is misleading.
If, for example, the x10 mini pro was available on standard tariffs I would pay for the phone (within reason). The way the maths work out it would be cheaper for me to buy the phone outright and go pay&go than do a £25 a month for 24months etc.
I just think that having a screen with multiple phones saying 'Free on all tariffs' where for some it means all tariffs and others it means all smartphone tariffs is misleading.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Have to agree to disagree then I'm afraid. I can see your point, they're literally not free on all tariffs that you can find on the site....
....but as clicking on any phone brings up all the tariffs you can choose from, and clicking on any tariff brings up all the phones you can choose with it, it's not really that confusing - it's not as if you could end up accidentally buying something on the wrong tariff.