Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

Help14
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can anyone help, I noticed charges on my account when I googled the name it came up with a gaming site that I didn't sign up for they have taken £15 in total from my account I tried to call to report fraud but can't get through they just keep hanging up on me thanks
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Help14 wrote:
Can anyone help, I noticed charges on my account when I googled the name it came up with a gaming site that I didn't sign up for they have taken £15 in total from my account I tried to call to report fraud but can't get through they just keep hanging up on me thanks

You don't name the gaming site, so it is difficult to give specific advice. This will be one of O2's Payforit scams. You need to contact the gaming site to stop the charges and insist on a FULL refund. Ask them for evidence that you entered into a contract with them. 

O2 leak your number to these companies when you access the internet using mobile data. They then allow them to make charges to your account without any evidence of consent. The system is designed to disadvanyage consumers, as there is no means, other than the small Claims court, of getting justice. The law is quite clear, the burden of proof rests with the vendor to prove the existence of a lawful contract. 

In May last year, O2 began to require two factor authorisation for these subscriptions. You should have received a text with a PIN which then had to be entered on to a website to start the subscription. If your charges started later than this, ask for evidence that these rules were complied with.

In November the regulator, the Phone-paid Services Authority , began to require this PIN authorisation. You should report the fraud to them: https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue

Ask O2 to put a "charge to mobile" bar on your account to avoid being defrauded in this way in the future.

Full information on dealing with Payforit fraud is on the Payforitsucks website. Start with the O2 faq: https://payforitsucks.co.uk/o2-payforit-faq/

Let us know if you need more help to resolve your issue.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 3 of 3