Did you mean: 

Fraud

MissClawdy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
On Monday I started receiving emails from
O2 on an email address I own but never use. Someone has ordered a SIM card in my name using my email.

I have received 7 emails from O2 regarding this new mobile number culminating in a bill this morning. I have been in touch with O2 via Twitter and also by phone. O2 Twitter say they’ve closed the new account and customer services this morning told me that their fraud department would ring within 48 hours. Not being the holder of the new account because I’ve notified O2 of fraud I can’t get any answers to who is doing this, which postal address is linked to the account etc. Very frustrating!

I haven’t received notification from my bank that a new DD has been set up so I’m hopeful my bank is safe.

How can someone order a SIM card without providing bank details? What is the purpose of ordering a Sim in my name?

Any advice on anything I should be doing or explanation of what is going on would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

O2Georgina
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

I understand completely, It may still be in the time frame of 10 working days.

I have sent a private message, Just now waiting for a reply

signature
Message 11 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If you haven't already then it might be worth making a non-emergency call to the police about the fraud so that it is on record there as well...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 14

MissClawdy
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just to update everyone who kindly responded to my thread; having initially been promised a call back from the Fraud team within 48 hours on 24 February which was then extended to a call back within 10 days... it has now been 15 working days and nothing.

Message 13 of 14

DamienO
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MissClawdy,

I am in the same boat I reported twice to customer services of a fraudulent account setup in my name and 2 phones taken on credit. I contacted Customer services by phone on 2 separate occasions as the 10 days had passed. I messaged O2 on facebook and was helpfully informed they would look into my issue. I was then told that Faud team would investigate. So I asked for a case number (Surely not a major security issue) Just for me to at least confirm a case had been opened. Sadly still sat here with no contact no idea if the issue is being investigated the best news I got from customer services was the account had been suspended. Action fraud responded with when reported "Whilst the misuse of your identity cannot be classified as a police recorded crime, we do recognise that identity theft can cause significant distress and inconvenience. " so not going anywhere there while I am still not monetary effected my credit rating has suffered.

Surely for something as serious as fraud O2 should have a dedicated reporting line.

Message 14 of 14