Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud scam

Tomvale
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two days ago I received a phone call from an O2 number (0344 809 0202) telling me that they needed to go through security with me. I was with friends at the time so wasn't concentrating much on what I thought was a routine O2 call, so when the woman asked me to read out a number texted to my phone I did. 

I then received texts and emails informing me that my new iphone would be despatched soon. I contacted O2 on livechat to say I hadn't ordered the phone. The chat operator told me should would get the order cancelled.

Today I received an email telling me the phone was on its way, and another email telling me I had been put onto a much more expensive tariff as requested apparently by me (I didn't). So I called O2 again and was told that the courier had cancelled the order which would be returned to O2, and that when the phone got back to O2 I could call to revert to the old tariff.

Now I have received an email saying the phone will be delivered tomorrow and I am so stressed thinking that I've been talking to scammers all along and that I am going to be pursued for over £1000 of new phone plus an additional £30 on my bills. Can anyone please reasuure me?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Tomvale 

Unfortunately you aren't the first with this scam. O2 advice here... (please read the whole thread)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/scam-call-from-0344-809-0202/m-p/1454530/high... 

You need to change your password immediately.

I will also tag our managers @Chris_K @Martin-O2 @LukasB @TheresaV 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Tomvale
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Cleoriff. I suppose I'll just have to see if the courier try to deliver tomorrow.

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

You need to call O2 at 8am and speak to the fraud department urgently so that the phone can be blocked immediately

Your account has been taken over now

Sign into My O2 if you are able to do so although they may have changed your password and address already

Hopefully it's an iphone and it's out of stock but don't delay in speaking to them urgently tomorrow

O2 will never ask you for the OTP sent to your phone

Message 4 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Tomvale As well as the good advice given to you by @Cleoriff and @jonsie take a look at these links:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

You need to inform your bank about this too.

If your account has already been compromised you may not be able to change your password, but you should try anyway: http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

There's every chance that the phone that was ordered is being sent to an address other than yours. If it does get delivered to you, you should refuse to accept the delivery. Hopefully O2's Fraud Department will be able to sort this out for you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

Tomvale
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Jonsie

Message 6 of 9

Tomvale
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Bambino. I changed my O2 login on Sunday, the evening of the day I got the scam call. I changed my security question late last night. 

Message 7 of 9

Tomvale
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So the situation now is that I received an email this morning telling me that DPD would deliver the fraudulently-ordered iphone today and that I would be sent a time slot in due course.

After that I received 3 separate texts, one from DPD confirming the info in the email, and two others sending me different links to track the package - these links were websites in Brazil! I decided I needed to speak to O2 again, but didn't want to use my phone, so I went to the nearest O2 store and they called Customer Services for me. CS put me through to the fraud dept who again took all the details and gave me advice. On my way to the O2 store I had received a text from DPD giving me the time slot, and O2 said that this slot was too soon for them to stop the delivery. I was advised to accept the package and I would be contacted by O2 in due course with instructions about what to do next. I would also receive an update on reverting to my own tariff (as opposed to the new one fraudulently applied for).

By the time I got home, the delivery had just been made (I received a DPD email with photo etc) and my flatmate had accepted the package.

So I now have the package at home, unopened, while I wait for instructions about sending it back. I don't know what the criminals think they have achieved: the O2 Fraud assistant assured me that my SIM was uncorrupted and that my phone had not been taken over.

I will update as and when anything happens.

Message 8 of 9

Tomvale
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 have now texted me to say they have investigated and they have concluded that the new iPhone order and the upgrade of my tariff were made fraudulently and that I will not be charged. They have said they will send me confirmation of this in the post. So hopefully it is all now resolved. Thank you again to those who gave me advice.

Message 9 of 9